Skip navigation

(Kopie 5)

HSV defeated 3-0 by Ingolstadt

Match report


HSV defeated 3-0 by Ingolstadt

Dario Lezcano (8‘), Thomas Pledl (69‘) and Marcel Gaus (72‘) scored for the visitors.

HSV lost 3-0 to FC Ingolstadt 04 on Matchday 32. The Bavarian visitors lead at the break and took home all three points in front of a crowd of 50,768 at the Volksparkstadion. Dario Lezcano fired Ingolstadt into the lead in the 8th minute with their first shot of the game. Hamburg were unable to overcome the early deficit and eventually lost by three goals after the visitors added to the scoring through Thomas Pledl and Marcel Gaus in the 69th and 72nd minutes.

Lezcano found space between HSV defenders to put his side ahead in the 8th minute.
Lezcano found space between HSV defenders to put his side ahead in the 8th minute.

An early blow …

After the three-day midweek training camp, Hannes Wolf named a slightly tweaked side with player changes in attack. Berkay Özcan replaced the injured Aaron Hunt in the number 10 role, whilst forwards Hee-chan Hwang and Manuel Wintzheimer returned to the starting XI. However, it was the visitors who began the game more dangerously, and took an early lead. In the eighth minute Lezcano hit the Rothosen on the counter attack and scored a great individual effort to put his side ahead. Julian Pollersbeck did fantastically to save Pledl’s effort three minutes later to keep the deficit to just one goal. After that, the Rothosen looked to attack more against the aggressively defending visitors. Ingolstadt dropped every man back into their own area and tried to shut down any space. As such, the game resembled a handball match at times, with Hamburg playing much of the game in the opposition half, in pursuit of a goal. The only chances fell to Jatta and Hwang but unfortunately the efforts didn’t pay off and the first half ended with the scores at 1-0.

Özcan and co. struggled to break down a tough Ingolstadt defence
Özcan and co. struggled to break down a tough Ingolstadt defence

… and then the knockout

Hannes Wolf sent his men out unchanged from the break, attacking down the flanks and attempting crosses towards the opposition goal. However, the Bavarian side defended well and adapted quickly, and were able to punish HSV’s errors to devastating effect. After an attacking corner in the 69th minute, the ball fell to Vagnoman in the Ingolstadt half, who unfortunately lost possession and allowed Pledl to run through on goal and slot past Pollersbeck to double the lead. The Schanzer secured victory just four minutes later, when HSV were unable to clear the ball away to safety and Gaus found the back of the net via a deflection. After this goal, there was no catching the visitors, who saw out the game in a clever manner. From a HSV point of view it was a tough game, after which the players acknowledged the loyal supporters in the Nordtribüne. After an emotional moment, the team headed to the dressing room backed by cries of “HSV, HSV, HSV”. The support is more important than ever at this stage of the season, with two finals to go.

Match details:

Hamburger SV: Pollersbeck - Sakai (63. Vagnoman), Lacroix, van Drongelen, Douglas Santos - Mangala (78. Janjicic) - Narey, Özcan, Jatta - Hwang (63. Lasogga), Wintzheimer 

FC Ingolstadt 04: Tschauner - Neumann, Paulsen, Mavraj, Paulo Otavio - Cohen - Kerschbaumer (62. Krauße), Gaus - Kutschke (83. Kotztke), Pledl - Lezcano (89. Sahin) 

Goals: 0:1 Lezcano (8.), 0:2 Pledl (68.), 0:3 Gaus (72.) 

Attendance: 50.768

Referee: Markus Schmidt (Stuttgart)

Yellow cards: - / Kerschbaumer (62.), Pledl (68.)