Match Report


0:1 - HSV loses to Hansa Rostock

HSV lost their first home match after the death of club legend Uwe Seeler 0:1 against F.C. Hansa Rostock on Sunday.

Hamburger SV lost 0:1 (0:0) against F.C. Hansa Rostock on Sunday (24 July). In the Volksparkstadion, which was almost sold out with 56,000 spectators, the mourning after the death of club legend Uwe Seeler was naturally the focus of the event, which, after a very dignified choreography, a wreath-laying ceremony at the centre circle and words that were as homage as they were emotional, was to concentrate on the game from 1.30 pm. In the match, the HSV played with a special jersey in honour of Uwe Seeler, but did not have the necessary luck in the idol's favourite discipline on this day, so that even the best opportunities did not lead to the hoped-for goal. And so a quick counter-attack by the strong-playing visitors in the fourth minute of injury time decided this match, when substitute Schumacher scored the goal of the day with the 0:1.

Goalless first half...

HSV coach Tim Walter was able to field the same starting eleven against Hansa as in the 2:0 victory in Braunschweig. Only winger Amaechi, who had provided a lot of fresh impetus after his substitution in the successful season opener and had also been involved in both HSV goals, was injured during the week and was not available against Rostock. They were very defensive from the start, barricaded their own penalty area with a defensive unit that mutated into a five-man defence and made life difficult for HSV. There were hardly any gaps, so that after half an hour the Reds had an extremely dominant 77 per cent of possession, but were unable to convert this into a compelling goal-scoring opportunity. More danger came from Rostock's counter-attacks and standard situations, with Fröde's header and Pröger's low shot twice just missing the Hamburg goal on the left (22nd, 28th). The greatest danger for the visitors came in the 32nd minute, when the Hamburg team got themselves into trouble twice after two ball losses in their own penalty area, but ultimately survived these scenes without any damage. Nevertheless, these situations showed that after their very defensive start, Rostock became bolder and more variable in the course of the first half, while HSV also stepped up their game in the final phase of the first half and recorded the two most dangerous actions of the first 45 minutes with Kittel's double chance in the 38th and 39th minute.

... and later knock-out

After the change of ends, Rostock remained well in the game and especially with their quick counter-attacks and standards, they were very dangerous. In the first minutes of the second period, attacker Pröger in particular caused the HSV fans to take a deep breath twice, and after about an hour there was a top chance by Ingelsson, which Heuer Fernandes was able to thwart with a strong reflex. And HSV? They struggled to find the gaps in their attack and were forced to play around the penalty area, as the visitors blocked the centre well and were also able to head out the high crosses that HSV tried to use from time to time. So the goalless draw stood until the last minutes of the game, when events came to a head once again. First, the two goalkeepers had to survive one hundred percent chances by Dressel on one side and Glatzel on the other, before substitute Schumacher scored a late knockout in eight minutes of injury time against Hamburg, who were now throwing everything forward and playing for victory, and gave HSV the bitter 0:1 in the 94th minute. But that was not enough, as the Rothosen continued to press, wanting at least a point and a goal on this special day, but it was all to no avail. Not even Heuer Fernandes, who was storming along at the end, actually had the last chance to head in, but once again Hansa keeper Kolke made sure of it and thus secured the Rostock victory.

Match Summary:

Hamburger SV: Heuer Fernandes - Heyer (82. Bilbija), Vuskovic (72. David), Schonlau, Muheim - Meffert, Reis, Benes (61. Rohr) - Königsdörffer (72. Heil), Glatzel, Kittel 

F.C. Hansa Rostock: Kolke - Roßbach, Fröde (83. Dietze), Malone - Neidhardt (68. Schröter), Ananou (72. Schumacher) - Ingelsson (83. T. Meißner), Dressel, Rhein - Pröger, Verhoek (68. Breier)

Goals: 0:1 Schumacher (90.+4)

Attendance: 54.476

Referee: Robert Kampka (Mainz)

Yellow Cards: Heil / Verhoek, Ananou, Roßbach, Ingelsson, Schumacher

Yellow/Red Cards: - / -

Red Cards: - / -