Match report


1-1 – HSV share the points with Dresden

Both sides took a share of the points this afternoon as Hamburger SV played out a stalemate 1-1 (1-0) with Dynamo Dresden on a rainy Sunday afternoon. Ludovit Reis’ early goal was canceled out by Tim Knipping’s second half header. 

It was a lively start for the first home game of the season on Sunday (1st August) In the end, Hamburg  drew 1-1 (1-0) with recently promoted Dynamo Dresden. Ludovit Reis had already gave the home side the lead, who played a very strong first half,  early on in the 5th minute, but Dynamo managed to level the match in the second half – equalizing through Tim Knipping (68th Minute). After 96 very intense minutes the game ended in a tough draw at the Volksparkstadion, which was filled with 17,100 spectators - this number had been allowed by the authorities.


The same 11 were chosen that managed the 3-1 victory over Schalke in the season opener. HSV began controlling most of the possession in the early stages while Dresden struggled to gain any momentum. The early pressure counted and the opener came after only 5 minutes. Wintzheimer putting across a great ball after some great play down the left hand side. It landed at the feet from Ludovit Reis who slotted home underneath the Dresden goalkeeper. Reis’ first goal at the Volksparkstadion erupted the HSV faithful. 

The chances continued to arise as Hamburg dominated the majority of the first half. Leibold saw a chance deflected over the bar while Robert Glatzel was stopped in motion for a one-on-one opportunity by a great saving tackle from the Dresden defence. Then came the big chances to double the lead. Three Chances! Glatzel was again set free. He sprinted towards goal but his shot was saved by Kevin Broll. After a stramash in the box, the ball fell kindly to Tim Leibold who had his shot from the edge of the box saved. The final chance eventually landed at the feet of Glatzel in the 6 yard box only to see his flick fall narrowly wide of the target. 

A Game of Two Halves

Gyamerah was forced to make a fearless diving block to deny Dresden an early goal in the second period. Dresden began to find their feet into the match. HSV were unfortunately forced into a change when Jonas Mefert collided with Luca Herrmann in the air. The opposition player was shown the yellow card but Mefert couldn’t continue. The equalizer for the away side eventually came on the 67th Minute. A corner was met by Dresden skipper Tim Knipping who rose highest and directed the ball into the bottom left hand corner past Heuer Fernandes. 1-1 was the score line. 

Chances were few and far between for the remaining 20 minutes as neither team managed to grab hold of the dominance. Heyer had the last effort, a volley from the edge of the box which floated straight into the opposition keepers hands as the half came to an intense ending. A draw that could have been three points if they red shorts were just a bit more clinical infront of goal. Many chances in the first half went missing which tells the full story of today’s game. 17,100 spectators made it feel like a full house! All that was missing was the three points this afternoon.

The Game in numbers:

Hamburger SV: Heuer Fernandes - Gyamerah, David, Schonlau, Leibold - Meffert (61. Rohr), Reis (69. Heyer), Kinsombi, Wintzheimer (69. Kittel) - Jatta (79. Kaufmann), Glatzel

Dynamo Dresden: Broll - M. Schröter (74. Aidonis), Sollbauer, Knipping, Löwe (61 Atoko) - Stark - Herrmann, Kade (46. Kade) - Königsdörffer (71. Hosiner), Daferner, Borrello (46. Vlachodimos)

Goals: 1:0 Reis (5.), 1:1 Knipping (68.)

Attendance: 17.100

Referee: Martin Petersen (Stuttgart)

Yellow cards: Wintzheimer (10.), Rohr (66.), Leibold (80.), Kaufmann (90.) / Dafferner (44.), Herrmann (59.)

Red cards: - / -