Match Preview


1:1 - HSV and Schalke with a draw at the end of the year

HSV drew 1-1 with FC Schalke 04 in the last match of the year. Robert Glatzel's goal was not enough for victory in the end in this contested top match, as Ko Itakura equalised late on.

Hamburger SV drew 1-1 (1:0) with FC Schalke 04 in the last match of the year on Saturday (18 December). In front of 15,000 spectators in the Volksparkstadion - the Corona-related conditions of the authorities had not allowed more - Robert Glatzel had already given the Red Shorts the lead in the 2nd minute of the game. And this lead lasted until deep into the final phase, despite a balanced course of the game and some good scoring chances on both sides, before Schalke's Itakura managed to equalise late on, but overall deservedly. This was the final point in the 87th minute of a racy and highly exciting top match in which both teams showed why they are at the top of the table.

Perfect HSV-Start...

HSV coach Tim Walter fielded the same team against Königsblau that had won their home match against Rostock 3:0 last weekend. And this time, too, the Rothosen went out like a light - and immediately after kick-off they caused a sensation: less than 100 seconds had passed when Glatzel was in the right place in the centre and headed a Kittel corner into the left-hand corner to give Hamburg an early 1:0 lead. A perfect start for HSV, but the visitors did not have to shake for too long. Instead, Schalke started to run forward and had a few attempts from distance, but the HSV defence did not allow anything really dangerous. On the contrary, the best opportunity was again Walter's team, which repeatedly lured the Knappen out of their own half with ball relays in order to then quickly chip balls into the back of the Schalke defence, but Glatzel failed midway through the first half to beat S04 keeper Fraisl. Since Reis and Alidou also aimed a little too inaccurately from promising situations shortly before the break, it remained at the 1:0 break lead of HSV after 45 intense, open and overall balanced minutes.

... and later equaliser

Shortly after the break, however, the lead should have been gone. Schalke's Churlinov suddenly found himself completely free in front of Hamburg's keeper after a misplaced pass from Johansson in the 52nd minute, who somehow managed to glimpse the safe 1:1 around the post. Johansson remained the focus of attention as he had to show all his skills several times against the increasingly pressing visitors, especially against Bülter and Churlinov again in the middle of the second half. But the Reds also had their chances in this now completely open and back-and-forth game, the biggest of which was Kittel, who failed to hit the right post in the 68th minute. And so it went into the hot final phase with the narrow Hamburg lead, in which both teams fought for every ball and every metre. HSV did this with the vehement cheering of the fans, who pushed their team in each of the now almost innumerable duels and were the 12th man in this defensive battle, which the Rothosen delivered against the running Schalkers. But unfortunately without success, because in the 87th minute Itakura still scored the 1-1 equaliser, which was also the final result shortly afterwards. In the end, a deserved draw in a game that lived up to its promise.

Match Summary

Hamburger SV: Johansson - Heyer, Vuskovic, Schonlau, Gyamerah (89. Wintzheimer) - Reis (62. Kinsombi), Meffert, Kittel - Jatta, Glatzel (89. Kaufmann), Alidou (74. Muheim)

FC Schalke 04: Fraisl - Ranftl (60. Aydin), Thiaw, Itakura, Kaminski, Ouwejan - Zalazar, Pálsson, Idrizi (85. Sane) - Pieringer (60. Bülter), Churlinov

Goals: 1:0 Glatzel (2.), 1:1 Itakura (87.)

Attendance: 15.000

Referee: Deniz Aytekin (Oberasbach)

Yellow Card: Reis (55.), Kittel (83.) / Pieringer (34.), Ranftl (50.), Pálsson (80.), Itakura (83.)

Yellow - Red Cards:  - / -

Red Cards: - / -