Match Report


2:1! HSV wins Hamburger Stadtderby

HSV won the Stadtderby against FC St. Pauli with 2:1 on Friday evening. After the visitors had taken the lead, Schonlau and Jatta each turned the game around after Kittel's assist. Deserved derby victory!

Hamburger SV won the Hamburger Stadtderby against FC St. Pauli 2:1 (0:1) on Friday evening (21 January). After the Reds had been the dominant team from the start, but without any luck in finishing, the visitors had taken the lead out of nowhere through Burgstaller (30th). But HSV continued to press and push - and turned the derby around. Schonlau after a Kittel corner (58.) and Jatta after Kittel's dream pass (70.) rewarded their team for a strong performance and ensured a deserved derby victory.

Missed chances..

HSV coach Tim Walter changed his starting eleven compared to the cup success in Cologne only on one position, Jatta came forward for Wintzheimer. And it was Jatta who set up the first goal of the day in the seventh minute of the match, when he passed to Heyer, who had run into the box - but his pass was offside, so that Heyer's goal was disallowed. In the minutes before, the Reds had already created two very good opportunities through Alidou and Heyer and thus impressively underlined what Walter had announced in advance: "Everyone is hot for the derby!"

The Rothosen started in a 4-3-3 system and took command from kick-off, were very strong in the midfield and looked for the direct route to the top after winning the ball. The result was a game in which HSV were clearly in control - and yet suddenly found themselves trailing 0:1 when, after half an hour, the visitors really got into the dangerous area of the Rothosen for the first time. In the end, it was Burgstaller who pushed the ball over the line following a set piece situation and thus turned the course of the game on its head. But HSV quickly recovered, got back on track and almost equalised before the break, but first Vuskovic with a header and shortly afterwards Jatta and Glatzel with a double chance missed the 1:1. 

... and a turned game

HSV continued to dominate the game after the break. The Reds had to do something and they pushed for the equaliser. Reis and Glatzel came close before Schonlau finally broke the spell and scored a powerful header after a Kittel corner to make it 1-1. The clock showed the 58th minute and that was the start of the wild final phase. In this phase, the players of both teams fought several hot duels and HSV kept their foot on the accelerator - and rewarded themselves in the 70th minute with an absolute dream goal to make it 2-1, which Jatta scored on an assist from Kittel. Derby turned around!

Now FC St. Pauli had to come and run after the deficit, but the Walter team defended strongly, kept the visitors far away from their own goal for the most part and relied on counterattacks. One of these quick counter-attacks via Jatta and Wintzheimer would even have had the makings of a third goal five minutes before the end, but it remained exciting until the five-minute injury time. But in that time, captain Schonlau, keeper Heuer Fernandes & Co. left no stone unturned, except for one last top-class goal by Burgstaller, which "Ferro" was able to defuse with a brilliant save.

Match Summary:

Hamburger SV: Heuer Fernandes - Heyer, Schonlau, Vuskovic, Muheim - Meffert, Reis, Kittel (86. Kinsombi)- Jatta (90. Kaufmann), Glatzel (90. David), Alidou (71. Wintzheimer)

FC St. Pauli: Vasilj – Ohlsson (76. Dzwigala), Medic, Lawrence, Paqarada – Smith (81. Benatelli) – Becker (71. Daschner), Hartel - Irvine (81. Makienok) - Burgstaller, Amenyido (46. Dittgen)

Goals: 0:1 Burgstaller (30.), 1:1 Schonlau (58.), 2:1 Jatta (70.)

Attendance: 2.000

Referee: Sascha Stegemann (Niederkassel)

Yellow Cards: Cheftrainer Walter (63.), Kittel (66.), Reis (78.) / Amenyido (26.), Irvine (45.+3), Hartel (65.)

Yellow-Red Cards: - / -

Red Cards: - / -