Post match report


3-2 defeat in Osnabrück. HSV miss out on playoff

Santos (31‘), Multhaupt (61‘) and Heider (84‘) scored for VfL Osnabrück to give them the win despite two equalisers from HSV through Meissner (37’) and Leibold (81’). In the end HSV did not offer enough to get the win that was needed.

HSV passed up the last remaining chance to stay in contention for the playoff. On Sunday, 16 May, the Rothosen lost 3-2 to VfL Osnabrück, while Greuther Fürth won 4-2 in Paderborn to guarantee a top-three finish. The hosts at Osnabrück’s Bremer Brücke stadium took the lead 34 minutes in through Christian Santos. Robin Meißner responded just moments later with a nice left-footed finish from 18 yards. In the second half, HSV asked questions of the Osnabrück keeper, Kühn, but were hit on the break by Maurice Multhaupt in the 61st minute and trailed again. With nine minutes to go, HSV equalised again through Tim Leibold, but Marc Heider put VfL back in front for a third time just three minutes later. The game ended 3-2, ruling out a chance at reaching the playoff for HSV next weekend. 

Meißner scores...

Horst Hrubesch was forced into one change from the win against Nürnberg – Gyamerah came in as a one-to-one replacement for the injured Vagnoman. Aside from that, the starting XI was unchanged from the recent 5-2 win. Similarly to the game against Nürnberg, Hrubesch’s men started well in Osnabrück, enjoying the vast majority of possession (70%) and posing more danger in front of goal than their opponents.  
Three chances in the space of four minutes went begging, however, as Onana and Kinsombi’s efforts from the edge of the box and Terodde’s one-on-one were all stopped by the keeper. At the other end, Osnabrück returned the favour to their goalkeeper and rewarded themselves for a courageous display as they took the lead through a Santos header (34’). A setback for HSV that they soon fought their way back from. Meißner tried his luck from the edge of the area and found the bottom corner. Meißner very nearly completed the quick turnaround moments later as he struck the top of the bar from a lobbed effort. The teams went into the half-time break all square at 1-1.

It wasn’t to be…

HSV came out for the second half with one change to the team: Narey replaced Jatta out wide. Soon after the restart, Hrubesch was forced into another substitution as Onana was brought off injured. He was replaced by Jung. The gaps were closing in the Osnabrück defence, making it increasingly difficult for HSV to create any goalscoring opportunities. With an hour on the clock, the Rothosen were hit on the break by a textbook counterattack. 

Multhaupt made it 2-1 to Osnabrück and the hosts began to throw themselves at every challenge. Momentum and luck were on their side, as Kittel, Meißner and Jung were all denied another equaliser from promising positions. HSV didn’t give up though and continued to push forward. In the 82nd minute, Leibold was unmarked in the middle to head his team level. Needing a winner to stay in contention for promotion, the Rothosen committed everything going forward. But just three minutes after giving themselves a lifeline, Osnabrück’s Heider broke HSV hearts with a third goal for the hosts, from which there was no way back. With Fürth winning their game in Paderborn, third place is now out of reach for Hamburg.


VfL Osnabrück: Kühn - Ajdini, Beermann, Trapp, Wolze - Multhaup (77.Engel), Reis, Taffertshofer, Amenyido (69‘ Heider) - Kerk (88‘ Blacha), Santos (88‘ Henning)

Hamburger SV: Ulreich - Gyamerah (69‘ Dudziak), Leistner (79‘ Kwarteng), Heyer, Leibold - Jatta (46‘ Narey), Kinsombi (69‘ Wintzheimer), Onana (50‘ Jung), Kittel - Meißner, Terodde

Goals: 1-0 Santos (34‘), 1-1 Meißner (37‘), 2-1 Multhaupt (61‘), 2-2 Leibold (81‘), 3-2 Heider (84‘)

Attendance: n/a

Referee: Daniel Siebert (Berlin)

Yellow cards: Wolze (76‘) / -

Red cards: - / -