Match Report


DFB Pokal: 3:1 AET - HSV wins in Bayreuth

HSV had to work hard to advance in the 1st round of the DFB Pokal against third division team SpVgg Bayreuth. In the end, the Rothosen won 3:1 in extra time.

Hamburger SV reached the second round of the DFB Pokal on Saturday (30 July). However, the team did not receive anything as a gift from third division team SpVgg Bayreuth and had to take a diversion via extra time in front of 14,700 spectators in the sold-out Hans-Walter-Wild-Stadion. The home side had taken the lead in the first half through a Hemmerich free-kick (16th) and made life difficult for HSV before the Rothosen became more compelling offensively in the second period, scored a late but deserved equaliser through substitute Königsdörffer (83rd) and then wrapped up victory in extra time. Schonlau and Königsdörffer again increased the score to 3:1 (107th, 111th) for Hamburg, who clearly dominated the game in the later stages of the match, and thus ensured a hard-fought but altogether deserved progress in the DFB Pokal.

Unfortunate deficit...

HSV coach Tim Walter changed his starting eleven in the DFB Cup only in one position compared to the last league match against Hansa Rostock: Bilbija was rotated into the team in place of Königsdörffer - and the attacker involuntarily played a decisive role in the 16th minute of the match when, while standing in the wall, he decisively deflected Bayreuth's Hemmerich's free kick, which then trickled into the goal against the direction of HSV keeper Heuer Fernandes. The hosts took an early 1:0 lead, although HSV had dominated the game up to that point and had scored two good first goals through Glatzel. But now the third division team - cheered on by their enthusiastic supporters - was fully involved in the game, and the Bayreuth team almost scored the second goal, but Heuer Fernandes made a great save from Nollenberger's header shortly before the break. On the other side, Hamburg's two best chances through Heyer and Kittel (38, 45) did not bring the hoped-for success either, so HSV went into the break with the narrow deficit despite 75 percent ball possession and 60 percent won duels, but overall too little penetrating power in the last third of the pitch.

... late equaliser

After the change of ends, the Spielvereinigung stayed true to their strategy, defended deep and tried to set up pinpricks with quick counterattacks. For their part, HSV increased the pressure more and more, which was mainly due to the two new players Walter had brought in at the start of the second half: Heil and Königsdörffer livened up HSV's game considerably, and it was not without reason that Königsdörffer created the best opportunity for the Reds after just under an hour, but failed to hit the crossbar. When Glatzel and Reis missed the equaliser by just a few centimetres shortly afterwards, it was clear that HSV had now rediscovered their attacking power and would press hard for the equaliser in the final phase. And they succeeded, because in the 83rd minute Rohr, who had also been substituted, played Königsdörffer perfectly free, who slotted in from close range to make it 1-1. This was the start of the exciting final phase, in which both sides still had goal-scoring chances, but no more compelling opportunities, so that after three minutes of added time, the game went into extra time.

... and victory in extra time

With the start of the extra time, HSV turned their clear superiority into an oppressive one, because from the kick-off of the extra time, it was only in the direction of the Bayreuth goal, which was now under constant fire. Keeper Kolbe was able to outgrow himself in this phase, as he saved three hundred percent chances against Glatzel, Kittel and Königsdörffer within a few minutes, before he had to admit defeat after HSV's eleventh corner kick: The advanced captain Schonlau scored from ten metres and finally put the visitors on the winning track with this goal to 2:1, which the Red Shorts did not leave in the last minutes of the match. Königsdörffer's second goal in the 111th minute after a great pass from Glatzel made it 3:1, and the game was finally over against the strong third-division team and the hard-fought, but after a difficult first half well-deserved passage into the next round of the DFB Pokal was perfect.

Match Summary

SpVgg Bayreuth: Kolbe - Hemmerich, Weber, Schwarz, Lippert - Heinrich (96. Götz), Groiß, Andermatt (70. Zejnullahu), Nollenberger (70. Maderer) - Kirsch (100. Ziereis), Steininger (70. Stockinger)

Hamburger SV: Heuer Fernandes - Heyer (77. Opoku), Vuskovic, Schonlau, Muheim - Meffert, Reis (70. Rohr), Benes (46. Heil, 115. David) - Bilbija (46. Königsdörffer), Glatzel, Kittel 

Goals: 1:0 Hemmerich (16.), 1:1 Königsdörffer (83.), 1:2 Schonlau (97.), 1:3 Königsdörffer (111.)

Attendance: 14.700 (ausverkauft)

Referee: Michael Bacher

Yellow Card: Steininger, Andermatt, Groiß, Weber, Kolbe / Schonlau

Yellow - Red Cards: Groiß (112.) / -

Red Cards: - / -