HSV beat Aris Thessaloniki 4-3 in Friendly

Goals from Robert Glatzel, Robin Meissner, Xavier Amaechi and an Own goal were enough to beat the Greek side. 

During the training camp in Styria, HSV celebrated a test match success against Aris Thessaloniki. The team won 4:3 (2:3) against the Greek first division team on Friday evening. In the opening phase, the Hamburg team conceded two goals due to two individual mistakes (3rd/11th). Robert Glatzel (8th) and an own goal by Peerman (22nd) provided two equalisers for head coach Tim Walter's team. The third lead by Peersman (35th) could not be equalised before the break. In the second half, Robin Meißner (58.) and Xavier Amaechi (59.) deservedly turned the game around for HSV.     

Individual Mistakes and five goals in the 1st half 

In the Kräuterdorfstadion in Söchau, about nine kilometres away from the HSV training ground in Styria, head coach Tim Walter used all field players as he did two days ago against Hajduk Split. There were also changes in goal compared to the first test match against the Croatian cup winners. Matheo Raab, who transferred from 1. FC Kaiserslautern to the Elbe, celebrated his HSV debut. And he was also the centre of attention twice. Already after three minutes Moritz Heyer lost a duel as the last man against his opponent Juan Iturbe. Raab, who would have been available as a play-off station far out of his goal, could only watch as the Greek offensive player slid the ball into the net for 1:0. After eleven minutes, the goalkeeper himself underestimated a bouncing ball in his own half: it jumped over him and Daniel Mancini took advantage of the mistake to also push into the empty goal. But as in the previous season, the Red shorts were not impressed by being behind. Between the two goals, a beautifully executed attack via Sonny Kittel and Robert Glatzel made it 1-1 (8th). The top scorer of the last season only had to push the ball over the line after a precise assist from close range. 

In the 22nd minute, for a change, HSV took advantage of a mistake by the Conference League participants from Greece. Laszlo Benes pushed his opponent Marvin Peersman so hard in his own penalty area that the latter, in an unintentional double pass with his goalkeeper, pushed the ball over his own line. The Rothosen then had to concede another goal after twice responding to an otherwise even first half. The unlucky Peersman did it better up front and headed into the net after a corner in the 35th minute for the 3:2 lead. 

Quick Double turned the game around. 

Tim Walter changed his entire team for the second half. Tom Mickel was given his first minutes in goal in the preparation test matches. And also in the offensive, the Rothosen got new impulses through the fresh forces. After about ten minutes of feeling the game out, Robin Meißner (58th) turned the game in Hamburg's favour within two minutes after beautiful preparation by Ransford Königsdörffer and Xavier Amaechi (59th) with an individual action. Just two minutes later, Amaechi (61) hit the post again, and Mario Vuskovic tried it just a few moments later (63) with a long-range shot that Aris keeper Julian Cuesta deflected against the crossbar. The lead was more than deserved at that point. And HSV did not relinquish the lead until the end, as the defence stood firm for the most part and did not allow anything to go wrong. In the last minutes, the youngsters Bent Adresen and Omar Megeed also got some time to play. 

With the 4:3 victory, HSV celebrated a successful end of the training camp in Styria. Tomorrow, Saturday (2 July), the team will return from Austria to Hamburg. Next week, the Rothosen will then train at the Volksparkstadion before the last endurance test before the 2nd league start against FC Basel next weekend (9 July), 

This is how they played: 

HSV 1st Half: Raab – Heyer, Schonlau, Ambrosius, Muheim – Meffert, Benes, Kittel – Heil, Glatzel, Biblija

HSV 2nd Half: Mickel -  Vagnoman, Vuskovic, David, Leibold (84.Adresen) - Rohr, Opoku, Reis -  Amaechi (88.), Meißner, Königsdörffer

Referee: Bernd Eigler (Österreich)

Goals: 0:1 Iturbe (3.), 1:1 Glatzel (8.), 1:2 Mancini (11.), 2:2 Peersman (ET, 22.), 2:3 Peersman (35.), 3:3 Meißner (58.), 4:3 Amaechi (59.)