Match report


1-0 against Augsburg! HSV of to winning start

HSV began their 55th Bundesliga season in style, beating FC Augsburg 1-0 at the Volksparkstadion in Hamburg on matchday 1 on Saturday afternoon. The only goal of the game was scored by Nicolai Müller on 8 minutes, after which he was forced off injured after hurting his knee during his goal celebration.

On Saturday afternoon (19.08) the Rothosen beat FC Augsburg 1-0 in front of 49, 449 at the Volksparkstadion to kick off the new season on a winning note. Nicolai Müller opened the scoring on 8 minutes and that goal proved to be enough to beat the visitors from south west Bavaria.

Early breakthrough by Müller

HSV coach Markus Gisdol reacted to the dismal 1-3 DFB Cup defeat in Osnabrück last weekend by making several changes. Dennis Diekmeier and Rick van Drongelen made the starting line-up at the expense of captain Gotoku Sakai and Douglas Santos at right and left back respectively. Key fit again duo Albin Ekdal and Filip Kostic also began the game, with Ekdal alongside Walace in front of the back four while Gideon Jung played in central defence for Mergim Mavraj, who missed out with a neck problem. Kostic on the other hand returned to his favoured spot on the left wing and new signing Andre Hahn replaced Aaron Hunt behind the sole striker.

The game began at a high tempo with both sides quickly switching from defence to attack and mounting counter attacks. It took only 8 minutes until the home fans had reason to0 celebrate, as Walace broke into the right of the visiting box from where he crossed the ball to the far post where Müller was lurking so somehow squeeze the ball between falling Augsburg keeper Marvin Hitz and his post. The celebrations were cut short howe3ver as Müller injured his left knee during the celebration and had to be replaced by Aaron Hunt (15.), with Hahn reverting to the right wing.

The home side then sat back on their slender lead and allowed FCA more room, hoping for a chance to hit them on the break after they were forced to open up after the early goal. On one occasion Kostic missed a decent chance on 25 minutes. Augsburg like HSV were the only Bundesliga side to exit the DFB Cup at the first round stage the previous weekend and looked to sorely miss key players who had left them for pastures new during the summer break. To their credit they created decent scoring chances all of which were squandered (33., 43, 45.). The Rothosen somewhat fortunately led 1-0 at the break.

Goalless second half

Gisdol seemed to have found the right words for his team during the break and made no changes for the start of the second half. His side began brightly as they did at the start of the first half, displaying much more determined body language. There followed chances for Hunt (52.), Wood (54., 56.), Hahn (65.) and Walace (79.) none of which were taken, reminding fans of the major problem from last season as they survived by the skin of their teeth. Substitute Luca Waldschmidt then missed a last minute gilt-edged chance. Blasting over the goal from just inside the box while unmarked.

In the end HSV won their first opening Bundesliga game of a new season since they beat Schalke 2-1 way back in the 2010/11 season, silencing the critical voices for now. Matchday 2 sees Gisdol and Co. Travel to meet Cologne next Friday night. That of course will literally be a completely new ball game.

Match details:

HSV: Mathenia - Diekmeier, Papadopoulos, Jung, van Drongelen - Müller (14. Hunt), Ekdal, Walace, Kostic (61. Waldschmidt) - Wood (87. Schipplock), Hahn

FC Augsburg: Hitz - Framberger, Gouweleeuw, Hinteregger, Max - Koo, Baier - Schmid (77. Thommy), Gregoritsch (67. Cordova), Caiuby - Finnbogason

Goal: 1:0 Müller (8.)

Booked: van Drongelen (37.), Papadopoulos (49.), Ekdal (80.), Diekmeier (90.+2) / Philipp Max (20.), Gregoritsch (28.), Hinteregger (72.)

Referee: Daniel Siebert (Berlin)

Att: 49.449