Match report


1-2! Derby defeat in Bremen

HSV were beaten 2-1 by arch northern rivals Werder Bremen at the sold out Weserstadion in Bremen on Sunday afternoon (16.04). Michael Gregoritsch opened the scoring for the visitors on 6 minutes, only for Werder to turn things around  through goals from Max Kruse (41.) and Florian Kainz (75.).

It just wasn’t to be. HSV lost 1-2 in Bremen despite taking an early lead. Michael Gregoritsch who scored both Hamburg goals in the 2-2 draw earlier in the season, opened the scoring after only 6 minutes at the Weserstadion, much to the delight of the 5,000 travelling Rothosen fans who made the short 130km trip up the Autobahn to cheer the lads on. Werder equalised at the perfect time through much-travelled Max Kruse four minutes shy of the break. Bremen continued to press forward after the break and were rewarded on 75 minutes as substitute Kainz scored what turned out to be the winning goal. HSV boss Markus Gisdol threw eveything forward but to no avail.

…Gregoritsch gives HSV early lead

Markus Gisdol was forced into two changes to the team which impressively beat TSG Hoffenheim 2-1 at home last time out. Key defender Kyriakos Papadopoulos was suspended after a fifth booking last time out, allowing fit again Gideon Jung to slot in to central defence alongside Mergim Mavraj. USA striker Bobby Wood picked up a knee injury in midweek and failed to become fit in time for the derby clash in Bremen. His place went to Michael Gregoritsch, who bagged a brace for HSV in the previous meeting (2-2) earlier in the season. The Austrian proved how much he likes playing Werder by giving the visitors a sixth minute lead.

After Bremen had squandered the opening chance of the game as Rothosen stopper Christian Mathenia superbly saved an effort from Kruse, Aaron Hunt (getting constant boo treatment for being a former Bremen player) kept his cool as he crossed into the Bremen box. The ball was met by the head of Gregoritsch who nodded the visitors ahead (6.). The home side appeared to be shocked by the early setback and needed time to recover and regroup. But then the game became an end to end affair with chances for both sides. Bremen hit a post with a free kick taken by Junuzovic (22.). Filip Kostic had missed a good HSV chance four minutes earlier. Bremen then pounced after HSV had given the ball away cheaply in the centre circle. Fin Bartels found Kruse inside the Hamburg box from where he made no mistake this time with a fine header four minutes before the break. As was the case in the first game it was 1-1 at half time.

…Bremen score decider

Both teams emerged for the second half unchanged. The home side attacked with the wind in their sails following their equaliser just before the break. The visitors were at times happy to just put the ball into the stands as the pressure mounted. It took ten minutes for the Rothsoen to threaten in the second half. Hunt was involved in a promising counter attack which ended with defender Matthias Ostrzolek on the ball from an acute angle. He tried to lob the keeper but missed the target.

Gisdol’s side had more of the ball but failed to capitalise. No so Werder, who scored what turned out to be the winning goal on 75 minutes through Florian Kainz who had come on as a substitute minutes earlier. Gisdol threw everything forward and also brought on young Bakery Jatta for his debut. Luca Waldschmidt was also brought on. The ball did hit the back of the Bremen net in injury time but the goal was ruled offside. So HSV returned home empty handed and must now focus on the next crucial game. On matchday 30 the Rothosen host lowly Darmstadt 98 at the Volksparkstadion in Hamburg. That game on April 22 kicks off at 3.30 PM.

Match details:

Werder Bremen: Wiedwald - Veljkovic, L. Sané, Moisander - M. Eggestein - Gebre Selassie, Grillitsch (63. Kainz), Junuzovic, S. Garcia (73. Bauer) - Bartels, M. Kruse (90. Bargfrede)

HSV: Mathenia - Diekmeier, Mavraj, Jung, Ostrzolek - Walace, Sakai - Hunt, Holtby (83. Waldschmidt), Kostic (83. Jatta) - Gregoritsch (63. Lasogga)

Goals: 0:1 Gregoritsch (6.), 1:1 M. Kruse (41.), 2:1 Kainz (75.)

Att: 42.000 (sold out)

Booked: Junuzovic (32.), Grillitsch (35.), Veljkovic (90.+3) / Diekmeier (70.)

Referee: Dr. Felix Brych (Munich)