Match report


1-2! HSV dumped out of cup by Gladbach

Two justified penalties cost the Rothosen dear. Gladbach’s Lars Stindl (53.) and Raffael (61.) made no mistake from the spot.  A fine strike by Hamburg’s Bobby Wood in the dying seconds of injury time (90+2) was never going to be enough to stop the home side from going down 1-2.

HSV exited the DFB Cup at the quarter final stage on Wednesday evening (01.03). The Rotosen lost 1-2 to Bundesliga rivals Borussia Mönchengladbach in front of a massive floodlit crowd of 53,249 at the Volksparkstadion. The team produced a much better performance after the 0-8 Bundesliga mauling in Munich on Saturday. In the end two careless penalties saw the visitors progress. Key Gladbach men Lars Stindl (53.) and Raffael (61.) kept their cool to slot home the spot kicks. Bobby Wood replied for the home side with almost the last kick of the game (90+2), but sadly it was too little too late.

Courageous performance...

Home coach Markus Gisdol made five changes to the side which were hammered 8-0 by title favourites Bayern Munich last time out with Hunt, Ostrzolek, Ekdal and Wood starting the game. There was good news for all home fans as Greek  Papadopoulos returned from injury, replacing Djourou who had a cold. Santos, Walace, Gregoritsch and Kostic were on the HSV bench.

After beginning ten minutes late because of traffic problems the game began with the Rothosen keen to show a different side after Munich. Hamburg quickly switched from defence to attack, pinning the visitors back in their own half for the opening 10 minutes. Gladbach seemed to be somewhat surprised by HSV’s early aggression. Their best chance of the opening half came on 15 minutes as Stindl fired narrowly wide of target. Two minutes later it took a fine save by Borussia stopper Sommer to keep out a low accurate effort from Wood. The game was void of goals at the break after a half which left home fans wanting more.

...unneccessary penalty

The second half was only eight minutes old before disaster struck for the home side. A clumsy late challenge by Hamburg’s Mavraj on Herrmann led to the opening spot kick which was coolly converted by Stindl (53.) .On 61 minutes another penalty was awarded to Gladbach as the same thing occurred as Ostrzolek challenged Hofmann. Referee Fritz was right on both occasions. The second penalty was tucked away by Brazilian Raffael to make it 2-0 to Gladbach, much to the delight of their sold out contingent of travelling fans. HSV angrily threw caution to the wind throwing everything forward. Because Gladbach were unable to profit from the acres of space HSV left while on the attack the game remained exciting until the end.

There was a feeling of: „If we can just get one goal a second could well follow“ making the rounds of the Volksparkstadion. But when the goal finally came it was almost with the final kick of the game as Wood netted two minutes into injury time with an excellent effort from the left hand edge of the Gladbach box. It was the USA striker’s fourth DFB Cup goal. Only two minutes were added to the end of the second half. So its good luck to Gladbach in the cup. But not when they visit the Volksparkstadion in only 10 days time (12.03.17, 5.30 PM). This time the teams lock horns for three crucial points on Bundesliga matchday 24.

This weekend sees Hertha BSC visit the Volksparkstadion on Sunday (05.03.17, 5.30 PM). The capital city side are the visitors to Hamburg on Bundesliga matchday 23. Tough games ahead for the Rothosen to say the least.

Match details:

HSV: Adler – Sakai, Papadopoulos, Mavraj, Ostrzolek – Ekdal, Jung (70. Walace) – Müller (70. Kostic), Holtby, Hunt – Wood

Bor. Mönchengladbach: Sommer - Jantschke, A. Christensen, Vestergaard, Wendt - Kramer, Dahoud (82. Strobl) - Herrmann, Hofmann (76. Johnson)- Stindl, Raffael (85. Hahn)

Goals: 0:1 Stindl (53., pen), 0:2 Raffael (61., pen), 1:2 Wood (90+2)

Att: 53.249

Referee: Marco Fritz (Korb)

Booked: - / Herrmann (83.)