Match report


3-1 loss at Kiel in first away defeat of the season

Bakery Jatta scored the only goal for Die Rothosen with Kinsombi scoring a brace and Serra also getting on the scoresheet for the hosts.

HSV suffered defeat in the last game of the year, which was also the first loss on the road this season. Die Rothosen lost 3-1 against Holstein Kiel in front of 9,300 fans in the Holstein-Stadion. The home side got off to a quick start scoring twice in the first 18 minutes through Janni Serra and David Kinsombi. Bakery Jatta pulled one back for the away side just after half time but Kinsombi scored his second of the game only five minutes later. Despite the loss, HSV will remain top of the league over Christmas.

Punished for a poor first half…

Hannes Wolf stuck with the same starting XI for the fourth game in a row but Pierre-Michel Lasogga returned to the bench after his injury. The first 30 minutes were dominated by Kiel who were cutting through the HSV defence with ease. The first free kick resulted in the first goal as Pollersbeck palmed a header from Schmidt straight to the feet of Serra who tapped home after seven minutes.
The Storks were very impressive and managed to double their lead after 18 minutes when Kinsombi poked home. Schindler crossed the ball and before it was headed back across goal for the midfielder to tap home a simple finish into an open net to give Kiel a deserved two-goal lead. Die Rothosen could not find any kind of rhythm in attack with the only chance coming from a speculative Sakai effort from distance. Serra could have made it 3-0 with a three-against-two counter attack but he made the wrong pass leaving the scoreline at only 2-0 going into the break.

…but a better second half

There was still hope for HSV after the break. The first action of the second half was very positive for the visitors as Jatta slotted home to reduce the arrears after a great pass from Douglas Santos. Only five minutes after Jatta’s goal, the two-goal lead was restored with Kinsombi getting his second of the game. There were many chances for both sides shortly after the two goals as Kinsombi and Narey both went close. Wolf brought on firepower from the bench as Lasogga and Wintzheimer came on at the end but it was not enough. The home side instead set up narrowly and compact to prevent giving HSV any clear chances. Mangala and Hunt had two good chances but it was not to be today. HSV were unable to go into the winter break unbeaten away from home but hold on to their position at the top of the league.

Match overview:

Holstein Kiel: Kronholm - Dehm, Schmidt, Wahl, van den Bergh - Karazor - Mühling, Kinsombi (79‘ Thesker) - Lee (68‘ Honsak) - Schindler (90‘ +1 Sander), Serra

Hamburger SV: Pollersbeck - Sakai, Bates, van Drongelen, Santos -  Mangala - Narey (78‘ Lasogga), Hunt, Holtby (68‘ Vagnoman), Jatta - Hwang (68‘ Wintzheimer)

Goals: 1-0 Serra (7‘), 2-0 Kinsombi (18‘), 2-1 Jatta (48‘), 3-1 Kinsombi (53‘)

Attendance: 10,073 (sold out)

Referee: Robert Hartmann (Wangen)

Yellow cards: Mangala (50‘) / Schindler (83‘)

Yellow-red cards: -

Red cards: -