Match report


1:1 home draw against Aue

The visitors took the lead shortly before the break through Philipp Zulechner (43’), before Manuel Wintzheimer equalised for Die Rothosen (53’) with his second goal in two games.

HSV had to settle for just one point from Saturday’s home game against Erzgebirge Aue after a 1-1 draw. Despite the home side’s first-half dominance, it was the visitors who took the lead. Philipp Zulechner struck the ball perfectly from a corner kick into the back of the HSV goal in the 43rd minute. HSV maintained the pressure in the second half, as Manuel Wintzheimer scored his second goal in as many games in the 53rd minute. Despite chances, HSV were unable to find a second goal and the two sides settled for a draw in front of a crowd of 52,354.

Setback before the break…

Head coach Hannes Wolf had more options available to him than in the previous game in Köln – Aaron Hunt, Hee-chan Hwang and Pierre-Michel Lasogga all returned to full training. All three were named on the bench, whilst Manuel Wintzheimer took his place in the starting XI. The youngster almost made an instant impact as he looked to break through on goal in the second minute, but was brought down by Aue centre-back Breitkreuz. After almost being caught out when defending with a high line, the visitors dropped deeper. Aue began to operate a compact 4-4-2 system as they looked to limit space for Hamburg to build attacks. Therefore, HSV’s first significant attempt on goal was a long-range effort from Berkay Özcan in the 20th minute. Die Rothosen increased the pressure on Aue’s goal, and went close to opening the scoring once again through Wintzheimer and Janjicic after some confusion in the opposition penalty area. However, Aue still looked to provide a threat on the counter attack and played patiently. HSV were able to deal with the opposition threat comfortably, until two minutes before half time, when Pollersbeck and the Hamburg defence failed to clear a corner ball, leaving Zulechner to volley home into an open goal and turn the match on its head.

… and a quick equaliser right after

HSV came out of the changing rooms determined, as they looked to turn around the undeserved deficit. It took only eight minutes to do so, as Wintzheimer continued where he left off in Köln. Khaled Narey’s cross was turned back across goal by Orel Mangala, and the young striker was on hand to slot the ball into the back of the net to bring the scores level. Keen for another, HSV continued their pursuit. The arrivals of Hwang, Lasogga and Hunt from the substitutes bench helped Die Rothosen in attack against a compact and defensive-minded Aue side. Unfortunately for HSV, the visitors defended fantastically. Wintzheimer could only find the side netting from Hunt’s pass, but Hamburg were unable to create any significant chances. The closest HSV came to a winning goal was Hunt’s free kick which agonisingly bounced back off the crossbar in the 86th minute. In added time, the ball fell to Lasogga but he lacked the little bit of luck and was unable to bring the ball under control. Unfortunately time ran out on Die Rothosen, and the home side had to make do with one point.

Match facts:

Hamburger SV: Pollersbeck - Sakai, Lacroix, van Drongelen, Santos - Janjicic, Mangala, Özcan (64’ Hwang) - Narey, Wintzheimer (76’ Hunt), Jatta (68’ Lasogga)

FC Erzgebirge Aue: Männel - Kalig, Wydra, S. Breitkreuz - Rizzuto, Riese, Fandrich, Kempe (46‘ Kral) - Hochscheidt - Krüger (77‘ Iyoha), Zulechner (60‘ Testroet)

Goals: 0-1 Zulechner (43‘), 1-1 Wintzheimer (53‘)

Attendance: 52,354

Referee: Dr. Matthias Jöllenbeck (Freiburg)

Yellow cards: - / Breitkreuz (2‘), Riese (29‘)