Match Report


2-1: HSV beat Gladbach

After 90 action-packed 90 minutes in the Volksparkstadion, HSV come out on top against Borussia Mönchengladbach after goals from Hunt and Holtby, winning 2-1 versus the Foals. In the end however, these three points were not enough to save the Rothosen from relegation.

Hamburger SV secure a 2-1 win against Borussia Mönchengladbach on the final matchday of the 2017/18 season in front a 57,000 strong, sold-out crowd in the Volksparkstadion. After Aaron Hunt gave the Rothosen the perfect start after his well-struck penalty, Gladbach hit back to level things up before the break. In the second half however Lewis Holtby restored HSV’s lead as the game finished 2-1. VfL Wolfsburg however managed to beat 1. FC Köln at home and therefore secured 16th place for themselves with HSV being relegated to the Bundesliga 2.

The perfect start for HSV…

The atmosphere in the Volksparkstadion has probably never been so loud. The two teams were greeted to a deafening reception as they kicked off at 15:27 CEST in front of the 57,000 spectators. The HSV fans spurred their team on from the off and were not discouraged by Wolfsburg taking the lead in the first minute of their game.

The support of the fans in the stadium made an immediate impact as HSV had the upper hand in the opening stages and were awarded a penalty in the 11th minute after Zakaria was deemed to have handballed inside the Gladbach area after VAR review. Hunt stepped up and made no mistake from the spot as HSV fans in the stadium erupted. Hamburg continued in the same vein, playing with bravery going forward looking for that second goal. The equalising goal was then all the more bitter as Hunt’s appeals for a freekick were waved away only for Borussia to counter, with a slick finish from Drmic levelling up the scores shortly after the half hour mark. The change of fortune in our own game was met with a change of fortune in Wolfsburg’s as Köln equalised around the same time. This news gave the fans new voice and the players extra impetus as they looked to retake the lead before the end of the first half. Again it was down the flanks where the Rothosen were causing problems but Wood was not able to turn this penetration into goals as he fired wide. The first half therefore finished level, giving HSV 45 minutes to get their job done.

…And the hard-earned win

The second half was quickly underway and the boys barely had time to take a breath as a wild 20 minute phase commenced. The Rothosen spent most of it in the Gladbach half and had the better of the chances. Hard battles and good football meant HSV created lots in this period and eventually got the second goal they deserved. Again it was Ito down the left flank who started the move, being a continuous threat. He set up Holtby in the middle who finished into the bottom-left corner. The goal went in just after the hour mark and caused another eruption of noise amongst the HSV fans, despite Wolfsburg putting themselves back in the ascendancy in their game against Köln. Shortly after Holtby’s goal, Wolfsburg built on their lead to make the score 3-1. With Wolfsburg’s third goal the dream of safety seemed a long way away, as the Rothosen not only needed a win but for Wolfsburg to lose. The fans however remained passionate and sang the club’s songs with such passion that no one could have guessed the club’s relegation was impending. Nevertheless, some “fans” seemed determined to taint the wonderful image that the rest had created by firing smoke bombs onto the pitch in second half stoppage time, which caused police to enter the field and referee Dr. Felix Brych to stop the game. The vast majority of fans however were impeccably behaved and condemned this section with songs as the break continued. A great number of fans also remained after the final whistle to applaud their side in the Volksparkstadion. This relegation is a bitter blow but the club is determined to make a quick return.



Hamburger SV: Pollersbeck - Sakai, Papadopoulos, Jung, Santos -  Steinmann (78’ Ekdal) - Kostic (82’ Jatta), Holtby (88’ Waldschmidt), Hunt, Ito - Wood

Borussia Mönchengladbach: Sommer - Elvedi, Ginter, Verstergaard, Wendt - Kramer, Zakaria (56’ Cuissance) - Hofmann (56’ Traore), Hazard (78’ Grifo) - Drmic, Raffael

Goals: 1-0 Hunt (11’), 1-1 Drmic (28’), 2-1 Holtby (63’)

Spectators: 57.000

Referee: Dr. Felix Brych (Munich)

Yellow cards: Wood (35’), Douglas Santos (44’) / -

Red cards: Wood (71‘ – Double yellow) / -