match report


HSV beat Heidenheim 3-2 thanks to a Lasogga hat-trick

A hat-trick from Pierre-Michel Lasogga inside nine minutes gave HSV a 3-2 home win against 1. FC Heidenheim on Matchday 5.

Hamburger SV recorded a home victory on Saturday afternoon as they defeated 1. FC Heidenheim 3-2 in front of 45,379 spectators. Christian Titz’s team fell behind on the 64th minute through a Patrick Schmidt goal, but hit back with three quick goals. Pierre-Michel Lasogga came off the bench to score three goals in nine minutes to turn the game on its head. Heidenheim scored with one minute to go but it did not impact the outcome of the game.

Firstly a spanner in the works…

The game, which began at 13:00 CEST, was the earliest kick off time in HSV’s history, but the fans created a great atmosphere in the stadium. Head coach Christian Titz made four changes to the starting line up, just as he did against Arminia Bielefeld. Matti Steinmann replaced the injured Lewis Holtby, who picked up a knock to his foot during the week. Vasilije Janjicic came in for Tatsuya Ito after the winger fell ill overnight. Léo Lacroix started in the centre of defence ahead of David Bates and fellow new-signing Hee-chan Hwang replaced Pierre-Michel Lasogga in the striker position, which was his first appearance in a HSV shirt.

The start of the game was laboured. Heidenheim set up very defensively with a back four protected by five in midfield and made it difficult for HSV in the opening minutes as individual mistakes began to sneak into Titz’s team. Despite this, Die Rothosen continued to try and break down their opponents by dominating possession. It took until the 22nd minute for HSV to create their first chance, which fell to Khaled Narey. The home side then pushed on and started to dominate the game while Hwang and Matti Steinmann went close as HSV were the more likely of the two teams to take the lead. Heidenheim counter attacked well but did not create any real openings. HSV forced the opponent into mistakes around their own penalty area, however Titz’s side failed to break the deadlock. An eventful first half ended with a good chance for Hwang but FCH goalkeeper Kevin Müller denied him with a good save as the half ended scoreless.

…then three goals from Lasogga

HSV coach Christian Titz was not satisifed with the first half performance and made two changes at the break. Pierre-Michel Lasogga was brought on for added presence up front and Christoph Moritz to provide stability. Lasogga played centrally while Hwang moved out wide and it only took a matter of minutes for this change to have an impact. The South Korean had a great chance to score when Douglas Santos delivered a fantastic cross, however he could only head over. In a period which HSV were dominating, Heidenheim landed a sucker punch. After a corner, which Lacroix was unable to clear, Patrick Schmidt was in the perfect position to hammer the ball home.

Despite the goal, HSV presented FCH with another golden opportunity, however Robert Andrich fired over. Titz’s team started to dominate the game thereafter and they were quickly rewarded. Moritz chipped the ball into the area which Douglas Santos then stood up to the back post and Lasogga eventually bundled it home. Within nine minutes, Lasogga went on to score his fifth and sixth goals of the season. The decision from Titz proved to be a stroke of genius. The last-minute goal from Robert Glatzel was the final action of the game as HSV managed to turn the game around to secure a deserved 3-2 win and keep all three points in Hamburg.

Match overview:

Hamburger SV: Pollersbeck - Sakai, Lacroix, van Drongelen (46’ Lasogga), Santos - Steinmann (78’ Arp) - Narey, Janjicic (46’ Moritz), Mangala, Hunt - Hwang

1. FC Heidenheim: Müller - Strauß, Mainka, Beermann, Theuerkauf - Griesbeck, Dorsch (62’ Schmidt) - Schnatterer, Andrich (84’ Glatzel), Thiel (82’ Lankford) - Dovedan

Goals: 0-1 Schmidt (64’), 1-1 Lasogga (75’), 2-1 Lasogga (81’), 3-1 Lasogga (83’), 3-2 Glatzel (89’)

Attendance: 45,379

Referee: Harm Osmers (Hannover)

Yellow cards: Janjicic (27’), Steinmann (45’) / Dorsch (59’)

Yellow-red cards: - / -

Red cards: - / -