Match report


HSV beat Nürnberg 1-0 to reach the quarter finals!

Hamburg overcame 1. FC Nürnberg on Tuesday evening in a narrow yet well-deserved 1-0 victory to progress to the last eight of the DFB-Pokal.

Over the 90 minutes, HSV were the more dangerous team and controlled the game. Despite the statistics indicating an incredible 20 shots on goal by HSV in comparison to a single effort managed by the visitors, in the end the one goal proved sufficient: a 54th-minute strike from Berkay Özcan, which ensured Die Rothosen a well-earned 1-0 win.


Hamburg coach Hannes Wolf made three changes from the side that lost 2-0 in Bielefeld on Saturday. David Bates replaced the injured Gideon Jung at centre-back and Fiete Arp was named up front. The youngster replaced Bakery Jatta, who moved to the left wing, making up the midfield alongside the third change Berkay Özcan, Lewis Holtby and Khaled Narey. Hamburg pushed for an opening goal immediately from kick-off, and came close on three occasions in the first 25 minutes.

Die Rothosen continued to control the game and penned the opposition into their own half. Nürnberg’s only answer to HSV’s high tempo attacking play was regular fouls, which resulted in many free kicks in dangerous areas. Despite their dominance, HSV’s likely opening goal still evaded them and the first half ended goalless, with Die Rothosen having nothing to show for their 8-0 advantage in the shots department.


The second half picked up where the first left off, with Hamburg on the front foot again. In the 54th minute, their efforts were finally rewarded. January arrival Berkay Özcan celebrated his first goal for the club, giving HSV a deserved lead with a cool finish into the bottom corner. After the opening goal, Die Rothosen continued to apply the pressure and had chances to extend the lead on two occasions through Lewis Holtby. Almost 48,000 supporters enjoyed one of HSV’s best performances of the season: strong at the back yet still creating chances at the other end to increase the advantage. After tonight’s well deserved 1-0 win, HSV now have to wait until Sunday, 10th February in order to find out who they will face in the quarter finals.


Hamburger SV: Pollersbeck - Sakai, Bates, van Drongelen, Douglas - Mangala (Janjicic, 46’) - Narey, Holtby, Özcan (Ito, 70’), Jatta (Vagnoman, 85’) - Arp

1. FC Nürnberg: Mathenia - Goden, Mühl, Ewerton, Valentini (Löwen, 43’) - Behrens, Petrak - Kerk (Misidjan, 79’), Palacios (Zrelak, 61’) - Matheus Pereira - Ishak

Goals: 1-0 Özcan (54’)

Attendance: 47,628

Referee: Harm Osmers (Hannover)

Yellow cards: Mangala (12’) / Valentini (15’), Kerk (75’), Goden (83’)