Match report


HSV beaten 2-0 by Köln

A relegation six-pointer against 1. FC Köln ended in defeat for HSV on Saturday evening, as the Billy Goats left Hamburg 2-0 winners.

Matchday 19 delivered a painful setback in the relegation battle for Hamburger SV. The Rothosen welcomed bottom-side Köln to the Volksparkstadion for Saturday’s late kick-off and while Markus Gisdol’s men made a good start, it was the visitors who broke the deadlock through Simon Terodde. Despite a couple of good chances to level the scores, Köln’s new signing also added a second after the break to put the game out of HSV’s reach.


Markus Gisdol changed things up after the frustrating 1-0 defeat in Augsburg to kick off 2018. He returned to his familiar 4-2-3-1 formation and made two changes to the starting line-up. A fit-again Aaron Hunt came in for Sejad Salihovic on the right flank, while Lewis Holtby was also given the nod after recovering from his knee injury. That meant Bobby Wood missed out, paving the way for André Hahn to lead the line.

The changes seemed to have an effect in the early stages, with HSV linking up well going forward. Hahn, Dennis Diekmeier and Filip Kostic all had chances to score in the opening exchanges, but there was no way past goalkeeper Timo Horn. Köln’s defensive unit steadily began to get the Hamburg attack under wraps and their teammates started poking holes at the other end. Yuya Osaka was looking a particular threat on the counter, although he played a crucial part in the set-piece that provided the opening goal in the 27th minute. Milos Jojic’s corner was flicked on at the near post by the Japanese forward, allowing Simon Terodde to force the ball over the line from within the six-yard box. The goal hit Hamburg hard, and it took until just before the half-time whistle to offer a response, but again Kostic was kept at bay by the impressive Horn.


The second half had a similar theme to the first; HSV continued to control possession and pushed Köln further and further back, but the chances didn’t follow. The away side waited to pounce on the counter and showed their clinical side once again in the 67th minute, as Terodde grabbed his second goal of the day, slotting a high ball underneath the on-rushing Julian Pollersbeck with a first-time finish. Gisdol’s search of a way back into the game saw him introduce the fresh legs of both Bobby Wood and Tatsuya Ito, but his side gave off the impression that Köln’s two-goal advantage was too great of a deficit to turnaround. Hunt’s free-kick onto the corner of the woodwork was the only significant chance for HSV as Köln saw out their 2-0 lead to close the gap to safety.


Hamburger SV: Pollersbeck - Diekmeier, Papadopoulos, Mavraj, Douglas - Janjicic (66’ Wood), Jung - Holtby (77’ Ito), Hunt, Kostic - Hahn

1. FC Köln: Horn - Sörensen, Jorge Mere, Heintz, Hector - Höger - S. Özcan - Clemens (78’ Klünter), Jojic - Osako (64’ Lehmann), Terodde

Goals: 0-1 Terodde (27’), 0-2 (Terodde 67’)

Attendance: 52,647

Referee: Guido Winkmann (Kerken)

Yellow cards: Papadopoulos, Jung, Janjicic / Sörensen, Hector, Mere