Match report


HSV defeat TuS Erndtebrück 5-3

HSV march on to the second round of the DFB-Pokal after a hard-earned 5-3 away win against TuS Erndtebrück. Lewis Holtby, Fiete Arp and Orel Mangala all scored for Die Rothosen, while Pierre-Michel Lasogga also bagged a brace.

Hamburger SV have qualified for the second round of the DFB-Pokal after a spectacular 5-3 victory over TuS Erndtebrück in the Leimbachstadion on Saturday evening. Christian Titz’s team flew out of the blocks in front of 13,588 spectators and led 2-0 after ten minutes following goals from Lewis Holtby, from the penalty spot, and Fiete Arp. The home side levelled with a goal either side of half-time but it was a brace from Pierre-Michel Lasogga that put Die Rothosen on the path to victory. Erndtebrück pulled one back, before Orel Mangala wrapped up the 5-3win in the final minute.

Hit with a shock despite two early goals…

Head coach Christian Titz made four changes from the comfortable 3-0 away win against Sandhausen, with Tom Mickel taking over from Julian Pollersbeck in net, and Stephan Ambrosius replacing David Bates in the centre of defence. Winger Tatsuya Ito also returned to the side replacing Jairo Samperio, while Fiete Arp made a straight swap for Pierre-Michel Lasogga as the lone striker. 

HSV started the game strongly and could have taken the lead after just four minutes, when Stephan Ambrosius swivelled and shot in the penalty area after a short corner. However, his effort went just wide of the near post. Only two minutes later, HSV were awarded a penalty. Orel Mangala was taken down in the area by Erndtebrück midfielder Taira Tomita and referee Robert Kempter pointed straight to the spot. Stand-in captain Lewis Holtby took the ball and buried the spot-kick into the bottom-right corner. HSV doubled their lead just 120 seconds later, a move started by an alert Arp’s good pressing. The ball fell to new signing Khaled Narey, who laid it back to the 18-year-old to provide the finishing touch. HSV had made the perfect start with less than ten minutes on the clock.

Christian Titz’s men were not satisfied with just the two goals and the hosts were lucky not to be three goals down after another good effort from Lewis Holtby in the 16th minute. Erndtebrück then grew into the game and managed to relieve the mounting pressure, but attacking opportunities were few and far between. The next chance fell the way of the visitors as Tatsuya Ito fired in a cross from the right wing, after being found by a brilliant pass from Holtby. The Japanese midfielder’s delivery found the unmarked Narey in the middle and, despite being on a hot-streak of form, he managed to skew the ball wide. Just before half time, Erndtebrück pressed for a goal and were rewarded for their efforts. A long ball found its way through to Tatsuya Yamazaki after striker Lukas Rösch miscontrolled a long pass, and he made no mistake, slotting past HSV goalkeeper Tom Mickel. Despite dominating the game, the visitors only went into the break with a 2-1 lead.

…and an emotional rollercoaster in the second half

The home team equalised almost straight after the interval. The ball was played into the box from a free-kick by the industrious Rösch, and captain Nicklas Hunold volleyed the ball into the left-hand corner of the net. Titz’s side then went on the hunt for a reply, but Schünemann made the save when Arp fired in an effort from the edge of the box. The youngster was then replaced by Pierre-Michel Lasogga, who made an immediate impact. First of all, the striker headed in an Ambrosius cross, and then two minutes later, he was also there to fire home in the six-yard box after good work from Ito and Mangala. 

HSV appeared to be in complete control of the game at 4-2, but Erndtebrück did not give up and were back in contention a few minutes later when a free-kick by Manfredas Ruzgis was crossed towards the back-post for Till Hilchenbach to head home. From then on, the game was a classic cup tie, with both teams showing lots of attacking intent. Despite still having a one-goal advantage, HSV remained courageous in their forward play, with chances falling to Lasogga and Mangala. The 5,000 travelling HSV fans could finally breathe a sigh of relief at full-time, when Orel Mangala rifled home from 20 yards to seal the victory. The referee brought an eventful game to a close with the score at 5-3 and HSV will march on to the next round.

Match overview

TuS Erndtebrück: Schünemann – Mißbach, Hunold, Yamazaki, Schmitt, Terzic – Reichert, Rösch, Tomita (74’ Yazar), Saka (70’ Hilchenbach) – Böhmer

Hamburger SV: Mickel – Sakai (46’ Knost), Ambrosius, van Drongelen, Santos – Janjicic – Narey (75’ Jairo), Mangala, Holtby, Ito – Arp (62’ Lasogga)

Goals: 0-1 Holtby (7’), 0-2 Arp (10’), 1-2 Yamazaki (42’), 2-2 Hunold (48’), 2-3 Lasogga (64’), 2-4 Lasogga (66’), 3-4 Hilchenbach (71’), 3-5 Mangala (90’)

Attendance: 13,588

Referee: Robert Kempter (Stockach)

Yellow cards: Hunold (35’) / Mickel (70’)

Yellow-red cards: N/A

Red cards: N/A