Match Report


HSV pull off important 1-0 win over Freiburg

After a hard fought 90 minutes of football, HSV came away with a crucial 1-0 win over SC Freiburg. Lewis Holtby scored the decisive goal thanks to a beautiful solo effort, leaving Hamburg a mere five points off the relegation play-off spot.

In front of 54,847 spectators at the Volksparkstadion, Hamburger SV won their second game under manager Christian Titz and closed the gap on relegation rivals Freiburg to five points. The winning goal came courtesy of Lewis Holtby in the 54th minute, who pulled off a miraculous solo run to fire his side into the lead. The visitors had the better of the chances to that point, but the Rothosen turned things around in the second half and ultimately deserved to take the lead. It remained an entertaining affair until the very end, in which HSV could really have added to the advantage they had already established for themselves. The home fans erupted into celebration as the final whistle blew, after 90 minutes of unrelenting support.

Freiburg create chances early on…

HSV coach Christian Titz made two changes to the side that played against Hoffenheim last week. Left-back Douglas was suspended, so Diekmeier came in his place at right-back, while Sakai moved over to the left. Papdopoulos also came in for van Drongelen. The coach made no changes to his attack and the team started the game off well in the formation that they have become used to in recent weeks. The ball came dangerously into the Freiburg box on two occasions in the first ten minutes, but the final touch didn’t quite come.

After that, it was Freiburg who took control of the game and generated the most chances. Goalkeeper Pollersbeck was solely to thank for keeping the score at 0-0 after a sublime triple save followed by a point blank parry left Freiburg speechless. After Kostic and Co. were on top in the opening stages, the guests dominated the proceedings from then on. They pressed the hosts high up the pitch and forced them into errors, which came a hair’s width away from giving Freiburg the lead. Pollersbeck ensured that his side would go into the break level, however.

… but Holtby strikes the deadly blow

The second half began much like the first – a reshuffled formation from the coach and a lot of thrust going forward. The Rothosen re-seized the initiative after that dangerous Freiburg phase to end the first period of play and it was rewarded in the 54th minute when Lewis Holtby capped off a brilliant solo run with an ice-cool finish to give his side the lead and light the Volksparkstadion on fire.

Attack after attack reigned down upon the Freiburg goal after that, as HSV looked to build on their newfound advantage. But it wasn’t to come. However, once Freiburg’s Söyüncü saw red in the 71st minute, there was a renewed sense of optimism that it might. Even though HSV threatened on multiple occasions, the second goal still proved elusive. But by the final whistle, it didn’t matter whether HSV had a one goal advantage or two – the three points had been secured and the Volksparkstadion erupted into celebration.

Match statistics:

Hamburger SV: Pollersbeck - Diekmeier, Papadopoulos, Jung, Sakai -  Steinmann (73‘ Ekdal) - Kostic, Holtby, Waldschmidt (56’ Wood), Ito (87‘ Jatta) - Hunt

SC Freiburg: Schwolow - Kübler, Gulde, Söyüncü, Günter - Haberer (69‘ Kath), Schuster (77‘ Koch), Höfler, Höler (64‘ Frantz) - Petersen, Kleindienst

Goals: 1-0 Holtby (54‘),

Attendance: 54.847

Referee: Benjamin Cortus (Röthenbach)