Match Report


HSV suffer narrow 2-1 defeat at home to Darmstadt

Jeremy Dudziak got one back late (77’), but it wasn’t enough to turn the game after Erich Berko (51’) and Serdar Dursun (60’) put Darmstadt ahead just after half time.

Hamburger SV suffered a tough blow in the promotion race, losing 2-1 to SV Darmstadt 98 on Friday evening (9th April). After a goalless and evenly-matched opening half, the guests struck twice after the break. Goals from Erich Berko (51’) and Serdar Dursun (60’) put them on course for victory. Jeremy Dudziak managed to get one back for the Rothosen (77’), who also had a penalty overturned by VAR.

Dominating the first half…

Daniel Thioune made three changes to the starting XI, bringing in Simon Terodde, Jeremy Dudziak and Klaus Gjasula for Bobby Wood, Jan Gyamerah and Amadou Onana (yellow card suspension). Gjasula was lively at the start and was cautioned early on, after two fouls in the opening six minutes. The Rothosen were able to break free from Darmstadt’s press in the opening phases of the game as Sonny Kittel (18’) and Manuel Wintzheimer (20’), both came close for the hosts. Down the other end, Darmstadt responded through Victor Palsson, who headed just over the bar (24’) while Tim Skarke attempted a chip from 20 meters out (28’). HSV nearly took the lead just before the break, but Simon Terodde (45’) saw his shot stopped by Darmstadt keeper Marcel Schuhen. Aaron Hunt attempted a dink from outside the box, but had to watch it sail just over the bar (45+2’). Despite chances on either end, the teams headed into the break deadlocked.

…but two quick setbacks after the break 

HSV started well after the break, as Wintzheimer had another shot saved from close range (48’). Gjasula (49’) and Terodde both also came close to the opener, but were unable to take advantage of their chances. Instead, it was Darmstadt who would counter immediately. Schuhen played a long ball to Mathias Honsak, who squared it to Erich Berko for the tap-in (51’). Sven Ulreich then pulled off a quick reaction save to deny Honsak with his fingertips just minutes later (53’). Serdar Dursun would then get the second for the guests, as he got on the end of a rebound from Matthias Bader (60’). 

There was plenty of drama in the final 30 minutes. Berko had another golden opportunity saved by Ulreich (71’). A minute later, referee Dr. Robert Kampka pointed to the spot after Terodde appeared to have been brought down in the box by Dursun. However, after VAR reviewed the incident, the referee reversed his initial decision. As the final 15 minutes got underway, Dudziak and Bakery Jatta combined to put the Rothosen within one (77’). Dudziak would later come within inches of netting the equaliser, but he side-volleyed it just wide. In the end, it was a tough defeat at home for HSV.

Match Overview:

Hamburger SV: Ulreich - Vagnoman (61’ Gyamerah), Heyer, Ambrosius, Leibold (89’ Narey) - Gjasula (61’ Kinsombi), Hunt - Kittel (74’ Jatta), Dudziak, Wintzheimer (74’ Meißner) - Terodde

SV Darmstadt 98: Schuhen - Bader, Pfeiffer (46’ Mai), Höhn, Holland - Pálsson, Rapp - Skarke (33’ Honsak), Kempe (90’+2 Hermann), Berko (74’ Mehlem) - Dursun (74’ Platte)

Goals: 0-1 Berko (51’), 0-2 Dursun (60’), 1-2 Dudziak (77’)

Spectators: Unfortunately none 

Referee: Dr. Robert Kampka (Mainz)

Yellow cards: Gjasula (6’), Dudziak (44’), Ambrosius (79’), Hunt (86’) / Rapp (40’), Berko (45’+2), Pálsson (49’)

Red cards: - / -