Match Report


Kinsombi seals dramatic win deep into injury time

David Kinsombi's injury-time winner sealed all three points in a dramatic finale for the Rothosen.

Hamburger SV beat Dynamo Dresden thanks to David Kinsombi's injury time winner on Saturday (23rd November) to retain their unbeaten home record. After a less-than-impressive first half with few chances for either side, the game sprang into life in the 47th minute, when Niklas Kreuzer gave the visitors a surprise if not undeserved lead. The Rothosen took a while to kick into gear before Sonny Kittel's 67th minute equaliser, and thought they had taken the lead twice afterwards, only for both goals to be chalked out by VAR. With the game heading into injury time, and it looking like Hamburg's run of home victories would come to an end, David Kinsombi popped up to head the ball into the net after Dresden 'keeper Broll couldn't hold on to Tim Leibold's rasping effort to spark wild celebrations in the home end.

Hamburg struggle to adapt to new formation

Dieter Hecking made four changes from the side that had battled to a 1-1 draw in Kiel last time out, with personnel and tactical changes. Bobby Wood made his first competitive start, whilst Martin Harnik, Christoph Moritz and Timo Letschert returned to the line-up for the injured Lukas Hinterseer, suspended Bakery Jatta and rested Gideon Jung. As such, the Rothosen changed to a 4-4-2 diamond formation, with Adrian Fein sitting, Dudziak and Moritz in wide central midfield and Sonny Kittel at the top of the diamond. Hamburg came roaring out of the blocks and could have been ahead inside thirty seconds. Bobby Wood was sent through on goal and held the ball up well for Christoph Moritz, who could only slide the ball agonisingly past the far post. The away side grew into the game after a nervy opening five, and had a few chances of their own, testing Hamburg's recent set-piece problems. Baris Atik had the best chance for the Black and Yellows when sent clear through on goal but Daniel Heuer Fernandes was out quickly to smother, injuring Atik in the process, with the German having to be substituted.

After an entertaining opening with chances on both sides, the game settled down in the middle section of the half, with inaccurate passing the undoing for both second in the table and second bottom, with Hamburg in particular having problems adapting to the new formation in midfield. The home side came on strongly as the half drew to a close, with Martin Harnik's header only finding the inviting arms of Dresden 'keeper Broll, when the Austrian could have opened the scoring if placing either side of the 24-year-old from eight yards out. The final chance of the half fell to Jeremy Dudziak, who sweetly connected with a dropping volley from twelve yards out but met his match in Broll once again. Whilst the better of the two teams, it was by no means dominant in the first period from the hosts.

Kinsombi snatches all three points at the death

The second half got off to the worst possible start, as a dangerous attack from Dresden was never properly cleared. The ball found its way to Niklas Kreuzer on the right-hand side, who whipped a dangerous right-footed ball into the box, which evaded both strikers and defenders to creep in at Daniel Heuer Fernandes' far post. Despite going behind, the hosts failed to react and still looked open at the back, whilst lacking pace and intensity when in possession. The game sprang into life after the hour mark, as HSV had thought they had turned it around inside three minutes. Tim Leibold's beautiful floated ball found Sonny Kittel all alone in behind the Dresden defence and the 25-year-old volleyed over Broll in off the post to level things up. Initially flagged offside, VAR intervened to award the goal after a check with the video officials based in Cologne. The roles were reversed a mere three minutes later, as HSV thought they had taken the lead for the first time, with a lovely flowing move ending up with Jairo Samperio's shot from Tim Leibold's cross squirming over to Martin Harnik, who tapped in. After a three-minute consultation with Cologne, it was decided that the Austrian was in an offside position when Samperio had touched on to him and the goal was chalked off.

Hamburg were now dominating proceedings, with Dresden content to sit back and invite the pressure on to them. The Rothosen had the ball in the net for a second time after another of Tim Leibold's marauding runs found Aaron Hunt eight yards out to head into the net, only for the left-back to once again be in an offside position. Entering injury time, there was only one team applying pressure, with Dresden struggling to get out of their final third. With two of the five added minutes still left to play, Sonny Kittel flicked artfully round the corner into the path of the advancing Tim Leibold, whose rasping effort was too hot for Broll to handle. Substitute David Kinsombi was waiting in exactly the right place to react to the rebound and head into the roof of the net to spark wild celebrations on the pitch and in the stands. All in all a far from classic performance from HSV, who looked weary and tired in possession for long periods. However, the sheer weight of chances means that a sixth home win in a row was far from undeserved.

Game overview

Hamburger SV: Heuer Fernandes - Narey, Letschert, van Drongelen, Leibold - Fein, Moritz (60' Hunt), Dudziak (84' Kinsombi), Kittel - Harnik, Wood (60' Samperio)

Dynamo Dresden: Broll - Müller, Hamalainen, Ehlers - Kreuzer, Nikolaou, Burnic, Kulke (65' Wahlqvist) - Atik (35' Klingenburg) - Koné (85' Löwe), Jeremejeff

Goals: 0-1 Kreuzer (47'), 1-1 Kittel (68'), 2-1 Kinsombi (90'+4)

Attendance: 51,586

Referee: Marco Fritz (Korb)

Yellow cards: Moritz (48') / Kreuzer (54'), Burnic (63'), Nikolaou (67')

Red cards: - / -