Match Preview


Kühlwetter steals the show as Heidenheim come from behind to beat HSV

Christian Kühlwetter's late winner secured himself the match ball and all three points for 1. FC Heidenheim at the Voith-Arena.

History repeated itself on Sunday (29th November), as 1. FC Heidenheim came from behind to defeat Hamburger SV at the Voith-Arena thanks to Christian Kühlwetter's 90th-minute winner. The outlook for the Rothosen had looked rosy after 24 minutes, 2-0 up through Sonny Kittel and Toni Leistner. Yet the lead didn't last until half-time, Heidenheim slowly gaining control of the game and Kühlwetter completing his hat-trick just before injury time after a catastrophic error by Sven Ulreich from a short goal-kick.

All square after action-packed first half

Daniel Thioune made three changes to the starting line-up after last Sunday's 3-1 loss to VfL Bochum at the Volksparkstadion; Ambrosius, Kittel and Narey coming into the eleven for Dudziak, Jatta and the injured Hunt. The opening quarter of an hour saw misplaced passes from both sides ruining any momentum building up before the game exploded into life in the 16th minute. Moritz Heyer drew the man and played into acres of space for Manuel Wintzheimer down the right, who had time to perfectly place the ball into Sonny Kittel's path at the back post, the 27-year-old making no mistake from six yards out. The Rothosen didn't let up, pressing their hosts back into their own half and were rewarded with a second in the 24th minute. A corner found its way to Manuel Wintzheimer at the back post, who controlled and flicked back to Toni Leistner in the middle of the box eight yards out, who hammered home on the half-volley for his first HSV goal.

The hosts hit back straight away, showing all of the qualities that see them unbeaten since October 2019 at the Voith-Arena. A Heidenheim corner was cleared straight back to taker Theuerkauf, curling in a delightful left-footed cross from the right flank, finding Christian Kühlwetter who had timed his run perfectly and headed past Sven Ulreich to halve the deficit. After a strong opening half an hour from the visitors, it was Heidenheim who had the momentum heading towards the break and levelled things up a minute before the interval. A long ball from Ulreich came straight back over the HSV defence, Jan Gyamerah not pushing up in time and Thomalla and Kühlwetter left with a 2-on-1 situation against Ulreich, the former selflessly passing to the latter who took his tally to seven for the season playing into the unguarded net.

Kühlwetter crowns comeback in 90th minute

The second half started in the same way as the first, both sides needing time to feel their way back into the game, yet this time it was the hosts who had the better of the opening quarter of an hour. On three occasions a FCH player was found worringly open in the HSV penalty area, yet Frank Schmidt's team weren't able to truly threaten Sven Ulreich during this period of dominance.

In truth the second half lacked the excitement of the first, neither side able to carve out any telling opportunities. And so it proved to be, a mistake gifting Heidenheim all three points in the 90th minute in a similar manner to the gutting 2-1 loss in June. Sven Ulreich tried to play a goal kick out from the back despite high pressure from the hosts. Toni Leistner returned the ball back to his 'keeper who took an excessive touch straight into the path of Kühlwetter, who gratefully accepted the gift to smash into the net, and secure himself the match ball in the process. The loss sees the HSV winless run stretch to four games, and will hope for better next Saturday at home to Hannover 96 (kick-off 1:00pm CET).

Game overview

1. FC Heidenheim: Müller - Busch, Mainka, Hüsing, Steurer (33' Pick) - Sessa, Geipl (60' Burnic), Theuerkauf - Leipertz (90' Otto), Thomalla (90' Schnatterer), Kühlwetter

Hamburger SV: Ulreich - Gyamerah, Leistner, Ambrosius, Leibold - Narey (83' Vagnoman), Onana, Heyer - Kittel (83' Jatta), Wintzheimer (74' Dudziak) - Terodde

Goals: 0-1 Kittel (16'), 0-2 Leistner (24'), 1-2 Kühlwetter (28'), 2-2 Kühlwetter (44'), 3-2 Kühlwetter (90')

Spectators: unfortunately none

Referee: Florian Badstübner (Windsbach)

Yellow cards: Geipl (55') / Onana (29'), Ambrosius (32'), Leibold (76')

Red cards: - / -