Match Report


HSV unbeaten run continues with frenetic derby draw

Simon Terodde's brace wasn't enough for HSV to claim a first derby win in three attempts, but the Rothosen remain unbeaten in their opening six games to the 2. Liga campaign.

Hamburger SV's winning start to the season came to an end on Friday night (30th October), securing a point from the 104th Hamburg derby thanks to a Simon Terodde brace in an absorbing encounter at the Volksparkstadion. Both sides showed themselves to be up for the fight from the off, Terodde carrying on from where he had left off against Würzburg in the twelfth minute, for the first HSV home derby goal since 2002. Goals from Rodrigo Zalazar and Simon Makienok turned the game for the guests who found themselves in front for all of two minutes, Terodde snatching his eighth of the season six minutes from time to see both sides deservedly take a share of the points.

Terodde opens the scoring in energetic half

Daniel Thioune showed himself to be tactically flexible once again, preferring a three at the back formation in a 3-4-3, Vagnoman and captain Leibold playing in the wing-back positions. The guests looked to make a fast start as they did in their two derby victories last season, putting their hosts under pressure and enjoying two early half-chances for Danish striker Simon Makienok. The Rothosen kept their cool and punished the brown and white half of Hamburg with a highly efficient first attack of the game in the 12th minute. Josha Vagnoman was given far too much time and space down the right-hand side, chopped inside onto his left foot and curled the ball beautifully onto Simon Terodde's head at the back post, who had peeled away from his marker. The opener was the start of a ten-minute period where the guests were backed into a corner, four consecutive set-piece situations proving dangerous, the last of which rattled against the post due to Terodde's glancing header.

The momentum shifted again in an entertaining first half, Benatelli first firing past the far post when left alone on the edge of the penalty area, the home side not heeding the warning. The ball was played in from the left-hand side to the ever-present Makienok, who laid into the path of Rodrigo Zalazar first time, the Uruguayan smashing the ball past the helpless Sven Ulreich from 25 yards to level things up. In the ten minutes remaining until half-time, the game became hectic, huge expanses of the Volksparkstadion left open by the midfielders of both teams as they looked to attack and land a second blow before the half-time interval. The Rothosen came the closer of the two, but a draw at half-time was a fair outcome to an open and energy-filled encounter in Stellingen.

Makienok and Terodde trade late goals

Whilst a lot of derbies see players frozen by the fear of making mistakes, this wasn't the case in the 104th Hamburg derby, the teams from the Millerntor and Volksparkstadion continuing to throw everything into the game after the restart. 20-year-old rising star Finn Ole Becker tested Sven Ulreich with a powerful left-footed effort, something that the new HSV number one was able to deal with acrobatically. However, it was the hosts who enjoyed the better of the chances to open the half, two sharp deliveries into the box from Tim Leibold almost resulting in the go-ahead goal for the Rothosen, Stephan Ambrosius and Terodde placing either side of Robin Himmelmann's goal.

As the game entered the final half an hour, the intensity reduced slightly, Pauli happy to take some of the sting out of the game and substitutions from Schultz and Thioune disrupting the flow of the match. The game burst into life again in the closing stages, the Brown and Whites moving into the lead for the first time in the match, having failed to test Sven Ulreich since Becker's shot thirty minutes previously. A long ball from the back wasn't cleared by the Rothosen defence and played into the path of the impressive Makienok, poking powerfully past the ex-Bayern 'keeper from just inside the area to present the possibility of another derby surprise. The hope for Pauli lasted barely two minutes, another long ball proving to be the undoing, as Jeremy Dudziak cushioned the ball into the path of Simon Terodde. The 32-year-old took one touch to set himself and another to fire past Himmelmann into the bottom right-hand corner for his fourth brace in six 2. Bundesliga outings this campaign.

Despite the flurry of goals, neither side contemplated settling for a draw, both pushing for a winner which ultimately didn't arrive for either. Pauli manager Schultz will perhaps feel a tad fortunate to leave the Volksparkstadion with a point after the Rothosen's second-half display, but his side gave as good as they got and certainly didn't deserve to lose the game on the balance of play. The Rothosen now have a week and a half to wait for their next encounter, a trip to surprise package Holstein Kiel next Monday (kick-off 8:30pm).

Match overview

Hamburger SV: Ulreich - Gyamerah, Ambrosius, Heyer - Vagnoman (78' Wood), Hunt (70' Dudziak), Onana (87' Gjasula), Leibold - Narey (70' Kinsombi), Terodde, Wintzheimer (70' Kittel)

FC St. Pauli: Himmelmann - Ohlsson, Knoll, Buballa - Zander (74' Lankford), Becker (87' Lawrence), Benatelli, Zalazar (70' Avevor), Dittgen (70' Daschner) - Makienok (87' Flach), Kyereh

Goals: 1-0 Terodde (12'), 1-1 Zalazar (35'), 1-2 Makienok (82'), 2-2 Terodde (84')

Attendance: 1,000

Referee: Manuel Gräfe (Berlin)

Yellow cards: Kittel (71') / Dittgen (56')

Red cards: - / -