Match Report


10-man Fürth hang on for a point in Hamburg

Sebastian Ernst's 57th-minute red card was the turning point in the battle of first against fourth at the Volksparkstadion, the Rothosen not quite able to make the man advantage tell.

Hamburger SV's unbeaten run stretched to eleven games at the Volksparkstadion on Saturday (13th February), but will be ruing a missed opportunity to distance themselves from 10-man Greuther Fürth in the table. In an intense first half, neither side came out on top or were able to create many chances of note. The intensity continued after the restart, Sebastian Ernst handed his marching orders three minutes before the hour thanks to a second yellow card. Despite laying siege to the Fürth goal, the Rothosen couldn't find a breakthrough and had to settle for their second successive draw.

All square after intense first half

Daniel Thioune made one enforced change from last Friday's 3-3 draw against Erzgebirge Aue, Aaron Hunt coming in for the injured Jeremy Dudziak. The tone was set from the beginning with the two most dangerous attacking units in the league, both teams pressing as a unit high up the pitch and hoping to force mistakes from their opponents. The Rothosen were able to do this more effectively in the opening exchanges, David Kinsombi enjoying two chances in quick succesion just before the 20-minute mark, both laid on by Aaron Hunt, but unable to trouble Sascha Burchert in the Fürth goal with either effort. 

After the opening period of pressure from the Rothosen, the rest of the half was very even, momentum quickly shifting from one side to the other and neither team quite able to stamp their authority on proceedings. The left-hand side looked most likely to bring a breakthrough for HSV, Aaron Hunt linking up well with Tim Leibold to cross the ball into the box, but it couldn't quite fall for Simon Terodde or Bakery Jatta waiting in the middle. It was in fact Sven Ulreich who was called into action more often than Burchert in the opening 45 minutes, twice saving from Fürth striker Havard Nielsen, but comfortable on both occasions. 

HSV unable to punish 10-man Fürth

The second half began in a similar fashion, chances a rarity on both sides and an intense battle in midfield being fought. The scales tipped in the favour of the Rothosen in the 57th minute, Sebastian Ernst seeing his second yellow card in the space of seven minutes and receiving his marching orders, Fürth incensed by the award of both yellow cards. The man advantage was clear to see straight away, the Rothosen playing the ball round the visitors, Sonny Kittel drawing Burchert and passing to Simon Terodde, who somehow managed to pass the ball into Maximilian Bauer on the line and not into the gaping net. 

The final half an hour saw an all-out assault on Burchert's goal, Stephan Ambrosius and Tim Leibold firing wide from set-piece situations. The Rothosen had the ball in the net in the 76th minute, David Kinsombi pressing the ball over the line from Khaled Narey's ball across the face of goal, initially given but correctly ruled out for offside by VAR. Despite the siege on his goal, Burchert had relatively little to do until the 87th minute, Tim Leibold's cross being half-cleared to substitute Khaled Narey at the back post, his ferocious volley somehow being clawed out by the Fürth stopper. Despite being fortunate to have a man advantage, the Rothosen will certainly see it as a missed opportunity to secure an important victory in the battle for promotion, having a host of chances in the final half an hour to put the game to bed. As it is, the Rothosen will look to get back to winning ways away to Würzburger Kickers next Sunday (kick-off 1:30pm CET).

Match overview

Hamburger SV: Ulreich - Gyamerah, Jung (69' Onana), Ambrosius, Leibold - Kinsombi, Heyer - Jatta (69' Narey), Hunt (90' Wintzheimer), Kittel - Terodde

SpVgg Greuther Fürth: Burchert - Meyerhöfer, Bauer, Stach, Raum - Seguin, Sarpei, Green (90'+2 Barry) - Nielsen (68' Abiama), Ernst, Hrgota (79' Leweling)

Goals: -

Spectators: unfortunately none

Referee: Sascha Stegemann (Niederkassel)

Yellow cards: Jung (24'), Ambrosius (41'), Kittel (90'+1) / Ernst (50'), Seguin (57'), Abiama (90'+3)

Red cards: - / Ernst (57', second yellow)