Match Report


Wasteful HSV have to settle for point against Kiel

Jae-sung Lee's early header was enough for Holstein Kiel to take a point from their visit to Hamburg.

Hamburger SV were unable to convert a number of high-quality chances against Holstein Kiel at the Volksparkstadion on Monday night (8th March), the Rothosen's winless run stretching to five games. The visiting Storks got off to a perfect start, Jae-sung Lee's set-piece header giving them the lead with barely eight minutes played. Hamburg created plenty of openings after Simon Terodde's 20th of the season either side of half-time, their complacency in front of goal costing them an all-important victory. 

Terodde brings HSV back into the game

Daniel Thioune made two changes from the side who narrowly lost out in the derby a week previously, Jan Gyamerah replacing the suspended Tim Leibold, Aaron Hunt coming in for Gideon Jung, and David Kinsombi taking the captain's armband against his former employers. After the disappointing results of the past few weeks, the Rothosen needed a fast start, but were undone in the eighth minute by a Kiel set-piece. Jannik Dehm's corner found its way through to the back post, Jae-sung Lee nipping in front of Jan Gyamerah to give the Storks an early lead. The hosts rallied well after conceding an early goal, Sonny Kittel looking the most likely as in recent weeks, coming close to Ioannis Gelios' goal on two occasions.

The equaliser in the 23rd minute was the result of individual brilliance from Bakery Jatta, picking up the ball on the halfway line and driving past the helpless challenges of three Kiel defenders, and twice exchanging passes with Simon Terodde. The goalgetter made a beeline towards the goal as soon as he had returned the pass to the Gambian, receiving the ball back and firing into the roof of the net from 14 yards out to bring HSV back on level terms. Josha Vagnoman had two gilt-edged opportunities to add to his current scoring tally of two for the season, both coming from set-pieces, the first particularly unfortunate when heading against the post when no more than four yards out from goal. And whilst on the balance of play the Rothosen would have been disappointed to go into the break level, the Storks were a threat on the break, Finn Bartels' pace proving to be a problem and Sven Ulreich having to stand tall to quell the threat from the former Werder Bremen winger.

HSV can't make dominance tell

The Rothosen came roaring out of the half-time break, the danger on the break from the guests nowhere to be seen in the opening quarter of an hour after the restart, and the only thing missing being the go-ahead goal for the hosts. Gelios pulled out an excellent reaction save to deny Terodde from close range, the Greek stopper called into action moments later by Sonny Kittel, who should have found the net when left unattended on the edge of the penalty area. The second third of the half saw the pressure relent slightly from the hosts, still dominant in possession and Kiel unable to build any kind of momentum, but Gelios also not having to prove his worth again.

The game became more disjointed as the end drew closer, substitutions on both sides upsetting the rhythm of the game and Kiel more than happy to settle for a point. Both sides had one chance of note to settle the game in the closing stages, Terodde firing a difficult volley on the turn over the top, and Storks' substitute Joshua Mees heading over from six yards out. The Rothosen will be disappointed not to have turned their chances into three points but were also guilty of not pushing their advantage home in the final half an hour. Daniel Thioune's men face another promotion tussle when travelling to VfL Bochum on Friday (kick-off 6:30pm CET).

Game overview 

Hamburger SV: Ulreich - Gyamerah, Ambrosius, Heyer, Vagnoman - Kinsombi (80' Onana), Hunt - Jatta (80' Heil), Dudziak (70' Wintzheimer), Kittel - Terodde

Holstein Kiel: Gelios - Dehm, Lorenz, Wahl, van den Bergh - Meffert - Reese (56' Mees), Hauptmann (56' Porath), Bartels (90'+1 Ignjovski), Lee - Serra (81' Arslan)

Goals: 0-1 Lee (8'), 1-1 Terodde (23')

Spectators: unfortunately none

Referee: Tobias Reichel (Stuttgart)

Yellow cards: Ambrosius (18'), Gyamerah (25') / Hauptmann (45'), Lorenz (61')

Red cards: - / -