Match Report


Sandhausen run riot to leave Hamburg promotion hopes in ruins

HSV were dismantled at the Volksparkstadion by SV Sandhausen by five goals to one in the final game of the season.

Another year in the second divison beckons for Hamburger SV, as Sandhausen destroyed their hosts by five goals to one on Sunday (28th June) in a miserable end to the season. A lacklustre first half lacking energy and structure saw Sandhausen race into a two-goal lead, and it could have been even worse for the Rothosen, had Kevin Behrens used two further opportunities afforded to him by some lacklustre defending. Aaron Hunt's 62nd-minute penalty gave Hamburg momentary hope, before three late goals capped off a forgettable afternoon at the Volksparkstadion.

Lifeless Hamburg two goals down at the break

Dieter Hecking made two changes to the side who lost so agonisingly last Sunday to Heidenheim, with the injured Timo Letschert being replaced by Ewerton in the middle of the back three. Jordan Beyer was also missing from the starting line-up, as Gideon Jung moved into the back three, leaving space for Adrian Fein to move back into one of the two defensive midfield slots. After an open start to the game, Sandhausen took the lead in the 13th minute, as the Rothosen conceded another early goal at home. Julius Biada was given far too much time to cross from the left-hand side, his inswinging cross hitting a combination of Sandhausen striker Behrens and van Drongelen, deflecting past the helpless Julian Pollersbeck into the far right-hand corner. 

The dreadful start was complete in the 22nd minute as a simple, long ball from the back from the guests was only cleared as far as Biada, and, with Rick van Drongelen not pushing up, Biada's slide-rule ball in behind left Behrens one-on-one with Pollersbeck. The 29-year-old retained his composure to calmly slot past the stopper into the far right corner for his 13th goal of the season. The Sandhausen striker should have doubled his tally five minutes from the half as Aaron Hunt gave the ball away in the Hamburg final third, and, after a neat one-two Behrens found himself face-to-face with Pollersbeck again, this time from a central position from ten yards out, but inexplicably put wide. A nightmare first half for the Rothosen was compounded by injuries to Jan Gyamerah and Rick van Drongelen, the latter writhing around in serious discomfort before being replaced by Bakery Jatta. The Dutchman's substitution also saw Hecking change back to the trusted 4-3-3, with the home defence looking all at sea during the first half, and no structure, accuracy or fight further up the field.

Hunt gives hope before late collapse

The Rothosen improved at the start of the second period, looking more solid at the back and more secure in possession, yet with no real pressure on the Sandhausen goal. The home side got their break on the hour with their first incisive attack of the half, pulling one back in the process. Aaron Hunt was fouled by Tim Kister after the ball had gone and, after a long consultation with VAR, referee Willenborg pointed to the spot. Hunt himself stepped up to hammer the penalty right into the top right-hand corner to bring his side back into the game. Despite finding a way back into the game, the pressure relented on the Sandhausen goal, with far too many mistakes in possession leading to Hamburg moves breaking down before getting into dangerous positions. 

Gideon Jung pulled his hamstring with ten minutes to go, resulting in HSV's final substitution having already made two changes at the break, and, with no recognised defender on the bench, David Kinsombi was brought on for the final exchanges. With the Rothosen pushing for the equaliser that would see them face Werder Bremen in the promotion play-off, and Heidenheim losing in Bielefeld, all structure disappeared from the home side's play and Sandhausen used all of the space and time at their disposure to kill the game once and for all. Philip Türpitz was played through on goal and, despite heading away from Julian Pollersbeck, Josha Vagnoman dived in, taking the former Magdeburg man's standing leg away and resulting in a penalty for the guests. Kevin Behrens stepped up and stroked the penalty down the middle to restore the guests' two-goal lead and get the brace that his performance deserved. 

With the chance of reaching the play-off now all but gone, the wheels completely fell off for Hamburg, and it was to get even worse in the final five minutes of the season. The ball was given away deep in their own half by the Rothosen yet again, Linsmayer had time to settle himself at the top of the area, and play to the right-hand side where substitute Engels was waiting to curl past Pollersbeck. In the third minute of injury time, a disastrous afternoon was complete as a corner was cleared at the first attempt, but as the ball was played back into the middle it slipped past Bakery Jatta to Dennis Diekmeier. The former HSV man took a touch to settle himself before firing expertly into the top corner for his second-ever senior goal and sealing one of HSV's highest-ever home defeats. An afternoon to forget at the Volksparkstadion, as a disappointing season comes to an end for a HSV side who could muster very few chances against a Sandhausen team with nothing to play for, and were disorganised and lacking in any kind of fight without the ball. The Rothosen will be playing their third season in a row in the 2. Bundesliga come September.

Game overview

Hamburger SV: Pollersbeck – Jung (82' Kinsombi), van Drongelen (35' Jatta), Ewerton (46' Ambrosius) – Gyamerah (24' Vagnoman), Dudziak, Fein, Hunt, Leibold - Harnik (46' Kittel), Pohjanpalo

SV Sandhausen: Fraisl (90' Wulle) - Zhirov, Kister, Verlaat - Diekmeier, Linsmayer, Taffertshofer (72' Türpitz), Biada (72' Frey), Paqarada - Scheu (78' Engels), Behrens (90' Bouhaddouz)

Goals: 0-1 van Drongelen (13', og), 0-2 Behrens (21'), 1-2 Hunt (62', p), 1-3 Behrens (84', p), 1-4 Engels (88'), 1-5 Diekmeier (90'+3)

Spectators: unfortunately none

Referee: Frank Willenborg (Osnabrück)

Yellow cards: - / 73' Scheu, 76' Linsmayer

Red cards: - / -