Match report


Terodde brace crowns HSV comeback win against Würzburg

A Simon Terodde double and late goal from Tim Leibold moves HSV to five wins from five to start the league campaign.

Hamburger SV continued their perfect start to the league season at the Volksparkstadion on Saturday (24th October), recovering from a lacklustre first half to pull away from Würzburger Kickers after the interval. With the hosts obviously lacking in energy after two games in five days, bottom-of-the-table Würzburg entered the break in front thanks to Lars Dietz's 40th minute tap-in from a set piece. The Rothosen were not their energetic best, but used the chances they did create to great effect after the interval, eventually running out 3-1 winners, a large contribution provided by league topscorer Simon Terodde.

Dietz puts visitors in front after lethargic first period

The HSV coaching staff made one change from the team that had defeated Aue on Wednesday night, captain Tim Leibold returning in the place of the injured Bakery Jatta. The Rothosen's exertions in the past week had obviously taken their toll, needing a while to get into the game and not pressing their opponent as high as in the early stages against the Saxons. The visitors took advantage, starting the game positively, before sinking into deeper positions around the ten-minute mark, as had been expected for two teams at different ends of the form table. Against the well-organised Würzburg defence, Hamburg had difficulties, the pace of passing not enough to move the visitors out of their positions and bring them into difficulties

Moving into the final quarter of an hour of the first half, the game became punctuated by losses of possession from both sides, neither able to create any pressure by losing the ball before getting into a dangerous area. It was thus unsurprising that the opening goal came from a set piece, Würzburg striker Dominic Baumann left all alone at the back post from a corner, squaring to Lars Dietz who placed in from all of three yards in the 40th minute. First-half injury time saw HSV have their best effort of the half, Aaron Hunt whistling a shot from the edge of the area just past the upright. All in all it had been a half lacking in energy from the hosts, and a game of low quality which suited the visitors better. 

Terodde turns the game for hosts

The Hamburg Rothosen came out of the break with a spring in their step, obviously given clear instructions from Daniel Thioune that a second-half performance like the first would not do. Khaled Narey had two chances within the opening ten minutes of the half, first muscling his way onto a header which went just over the bar and hammering a volley against the upright from a tight angle, both from Tim Leibold crosses. The hosts were having more success down the flanks, and the equaliser was engineered in the 65th minute down the right-hand side. Khaled Narey found Wintzheimer on the right edge of the area, who in turn played into Terodde with his back to goal six yards out, holding off the challenge of Dietz with one hand, controlling the ball and slotting past Würzburg 'keeper Kiefer with his left thanks to a slight deflection from Dietz trying to block his attempt.

Having found a way back into the game, mistakes crept into the Rothosen's game again, and Giefer had little to do before picking the ball out of his net for the second time in the 82nd minute. A ball into the penalty area from Narey could only be cleared as far as Terodde on the penalty spot who needed no second invitation to swivel and smash the ball with his first touch into the bottom corner. Finding themselves behind for the first time in the game, Würzburg had to push forward for the equaliser, resulting in a number of counter-attacking opportunities for the hosts which could have been used more effectively. As it was, 'keeper Giefer came forward for a last-minute Würzburg corner, which would ultimately lead to a Hamburg third. Substitute Klaus Gjasula played Tim Leibold in down the left, the returning captain being quite fortunate as his attempted cut-back was blocked straight back into his path by Ronstadt, the scrambling Giefer also being fooled by the deflection, meaning that the left-back merely had to pass into an empty net to open his account for the season. An improved second-half showing from the Rothosen to seal the fifth league win in five, but they will have to produce better from the beginning on Friday (kick-off 6:30pm CET) in the Hamburg derby against St. Pauli.

Game overview

Hamburger SV: Ulreich - Gyamerah (79' Vagnoman), Ambrosius, Jung (46' Onana) - Narey, Heyer, Hunt (84' Gjasula), Leibold - Wintzheimer (79' Kinsombi), Terodde, Kittel

Würzburger Kickers: Giefer - Toko, Dietz, Ewerton, Feick - Hägele, Sontheimer - Baumann (80' Hansen), Lotric (64' Ronstadt), Kopacz (69' Hemmerich) - Munsy

Goals: 0-1 Dietz (40'), 1-1 Terodde (65'), 2-1 Terodde (82'), 3-1 Leibold (90'+2)

Attendance: 1,000

Referee: Daniel Siebert (Berlin)

Yellow cards: Kittel (45') / Sontheimer (37'), Baumann (74'), Hansen (83')

Red cards: - / -