Match Report


HSV denied by late Mees' equaliser in Kiel

Moritz Heyer's first HSV goal wasn't enough to get the win against northern neighbours Holstein Kiel on Monday night, a second consecutive draw for the Rothosen.

Hamburger SV's unbeaten start to the season continued at the Holstein-Stadion on Monday night (9th November), but only travelled back to Hamburg with a point due to Joshua Mees' 90th minute equaliser. The first half offered up very few chances, HSV going ahead through the only clear-cut opportunity of the period thanks to Moritz Heyer's first HSV goal. The Rothosen withstood a strong start to the half from the hosts and had chances of their own to seal the deal in the closing stages, but were punished by Mees who ensured that Kiel's unbeaten record against Hamburg in the 2. Bundesliga continued to five games.

Heyer opens his account 

Daniel Thioune made three changes from the starting eleven which had drawn the Hamburg derby last time out; Leistner, Dudziak and Kittel returning to the team as part of a classic four-at-the-back system. The game required time to warm up, both sides not quite getting into their stride straight away after an extended break from thier previous league games. The Rothosen back line saw a lot of the ball, but found it difficult to break through the well-organised Kiel defenders, who waited for the right moment to pounce and force a mistake from their guests. Both northern sides were better-equipped to handle the game without the ball, pressing intelligently and as a team, blunting any attacking intent from either team.

On the few occasions that the Rothosen did find their way through the Storks' defence, they were too shy of testing Gelios in the Kiel net, first Kittel and then Terodde trying to find better-placed teammates and the half-chances fizzling out. The pressure from the Rothosen went up a notch as the end of the half neared, the Storks continually losing the ball and the away side going in front just before the break. A Sonny Kittel corner was headed on by Stephan Ambrosius to Jeremy Dudziak at the back post, who controlled the ball on his thigh and flicked back across goal expertly for Moritz Heyer, the 25-year-old simply having to head in from two yards out to open his goalscoring account for HSV.

Mees grabs a point in injury time

Finding themselves behind, the hosts were much more expansive in the opening minutes of the second half, enjoying more possession and pushing the Rothosen back into their own half. Two shots on target resulted from this period of pressure, yet Ulreich was able to save easily from Bartels' header and Dehm's long-distance effort. The Rothosen were able to free themselves more permanently around the hour mark, keeping the ball more effectively on the counter, the quality of the final ball preventing any serious efforts on Gelios' goal.

Entering the closing stages, the energy from the hosts dissipated slightly, losing the ball in attacking situations and the guests looking threatening on the counter. As the Storks threw more men forward, gaps opened at the back and the Rothosen had four clear chances to put the game to bed, the first minute of injury time seeing a 4-on-2 counter that should have sealed the game. Instead, as is so often the case, the Rothosen's lack of ruthlessness was punished in injury time, a harmless long ball from the back being misjudged by Josha Vagnoman, substitute Joshua Mees profiting for the Storks and chipping over the advancing Ulreich to level things up. Daniel Thioune will be kicking himself that his side threw away all three points, but remains unbeaten heading into the international break, and will be hoping to get back to winning ways against VfL Bochum at the Volksparkstadion on Sunday 22nd November (kick-off 1:30pm CET).

Match overview 

Holstein Kiel: Gelios - Dehm, Wahl, Thesker (88' Mees), van den Bergh -  Mühling, Meffert (88' Hauptmann), J.-S. Lee - Reese (72' Porath), Serra, Bartels (77' Girth)

Hamburger SV: Ulreich - Gyamerah (88' Hunt), Leistner, Ambrosius, Leibold - Onana (64' Kinsombi), Heyer - Narey, Dudziak (77' Vagnoman), Kittel (77' Wintzheimer) - Terodde (88' Wood)

Goals: 1-0 Heyer (43'), 1-1 Mees (90'+1)

Spectators: unfortunately none

Referee: Sören Storks (Velen)

Yellow cards: Bartels (74') / - 

Red cards: - / -