Match Report


Third HSV win on the trot over 10-man Karslruhe

Goals from Bakery Jatta and Simon Terodde ensured all three points for HSV in the last game of the calendar year in Karlsruhe.

Simon Terodde's 82nd minute winner saw Hamburger SV climb back into second position in the 2. Bundesliga heading into the Christmas break, as part of a third consecutive league win on Monday night (21st December) at the Wildparkstadion. In an engaging first half, the Rothosen were pegged back by Philipp Hofmann's equaliser after Bakery Jatta's early opener, and should have gone into the half further in front. Goalmouth action was harder to come by in the second half, Terodde making the most of Philip Heise's 77nd-minute sending off with his 14th of the season eight minutes from time.

Hofmann cancels out Jatta opener

Daniel Thioune made four changes to the eleven which had beaten SV Sandhausen on Tuesday night, with changes in personnel and formation, again returning to a back four. Bakery Jatta's reinstatement to the starting line-up paid dividends immediately, scoring his first goal of the season in the third minute. The Gambian collected the ball in the centre circle, showing close control to drive all the way to the edge of the penalty area, and, invited by the Karlsruhe defence to shoot, did just that and placed it expertly past the diving Marius Gersbeck with his left foot. Jatta was at the heart of everything positive for the Rothosen in the opening five minutes, laying on a chance for Jeremy Dudziak on the penalty spot who blasted over when well placed. The guests were punished for their profligacy in the 14th minute, Karlsruhe equalising with their first threatening attack on Sven Ulreich's goal. Josha Vagnoman slipped and the hosts countered, a 2-on-2 situation seeing Malik Batmaz draw Toni Leistner as last man and play across to Philipp Hofmann, who cooly slipped under the 32-year-old stopper with his first touch.

The intensity of the game remained high as chances continued to fall on both sides, the guests enjoying the better of the opportunities. The visitors from Hamburg looked most dangerous from wide positions; Simon Terodde flicking a Khaled Narey free-kick onto the post in the 20th minute, before the winger should have done better himself when found all alone at the far post by Bakery Jatta, heading straight at the grateful Gersbeck. Karlsruhe slowly squeezed the game and ended the half on top, Benjamin Goller coming closest two minutes from the half, seeing his strike from the edge of the area whistle past the left-hand post. 

Terodde wins it again in the closing stages

The Wildparkstadion surface was proving difficult for HSV's passing style of play, Karlsruhe proving to be a nuisance when the Rothosen were in possession, and making the most of the many bobbles that resulted in poor touches and inaccurate passing. KSC centre-back Sebastian Bormuth had the best chance during this phase of pressure, heading over the bar when left all alone at the back post. Hamburg resisted and registered their first effort of the half just after the hour mark, Josha Vagnoman and Khaled Narey exchanging passes on the edge of the area but the 20-year-old blasted his left-footed shot over the bar.

The chances of the first half were replaced with niggly fouls in the second half as the conditions deteriorated, little surprise that a sending off kicked the game back into life. Philip Heise was given his marching orders in the 77th minute, catching David Kinsombi with his laces only ten minutes after seeing the first caution of the match. The telling intervention came eight minutes from time, substitute Sonny Kittel providing the only quality cross of the half from the right-hand side, Simon Terodde losing his marker to volley in from eight yards out. 10-man Karslruhe huffed and puffed in the closing stages, Philipp Hofmann unleashing on the half-volley deep into injury time, fortunately for the Rothosen straight at the chest of Sven Ulreich. The Rothosen's third win on the spin takes them back up into second position over the shortened Christmas break, as the league gets back underway with the visit of SSV Jahn Regensburg to the Volksparkstadion on Sunday 3rd January (kick-off 1:30pm CET).

Game overview

Karlsruher SC: Gersbeck - Thiede, Bormuth, Kobald, Heise - Gondorf, Wanitzek, Goller, M. Lorenz (79' Carlson) - Batmaz (76' Fröde), P. Hofmann

Hamburger SV: Ulreich - Vagnoman, Leistner, Heyer, Gyamerah - Gjasula (74' Onana) - Kinsombi (88' Jung), Dudziak (90' Wood) - Narey (74' Kittel), Terodde, Jatta

Goals: 0-1 Jatta (3'), 1-1 Hofmann (14'), 1-2 Terodde (82')

Spectators: unfortunately none

Referee: Christof Günsch (Berlin)

Yellow cards: Heise (67') / Terodde (69'), Kinsombi (70')

Red cards: Heise (77', second caution) / -