Match Report


HSV shade seven-goal thriller in Paderborn

Simon Terodde took his tally for the season to four goals in two games as HSV took, lost, then regained the lead in a topsy-turvy encounter in North-Rhine Westphalia.

Hamburger SV made it two wins from two in the 2. Bundesliga on Monday night (28th September) thanks to a thrilling win at the Benteler Arena. The Rothosen looked well on their way to matching their opening day win after 24 minutes thanks to strikes from Manuel Wintzheimer and Simon Terodde, but a crazy five minutes saw Chris Führich involved in all three goals as Paderborn turned the game around to lead at the break. Terodde added a second to his tally ten minutes after the half and Aaron Hunt rounded off the second comeback of the game ten minutes from time for a first away win of the season that displayed character but also gave Daniel Thioune lots to think about before Sunday's clash at home to Aue.

Quickfire triple turns game on its head

Daniel Thioune made two enforced changes from the starting line-up which had defeated Fortuna Düsseldorf on Matchday 1, Jan Gyamerah coming in for Josha Vagnoman at right-back and Khaled Narey for Sonny Kittel on the right wing. It was Narey down the right-hand side who was at the centre of an energetic start to the game from the Rothosen, his pace and direct running causing problems for the Paderborn backline. Manuel Wintzheimer was given a first sight of goal in the eleventh minute, hitting straight into the arms of Zingerle in the Paderborn goal, but when invited to try his luck again four minutes later gave the Rothosen the lead. Narey drove into space down the right from a counter, found Dudziak who laid it into the path of Wintzheimer, who was gifted time and space to perfectly curl his left-footed effort past Zingerle from the edge of the eighteen-yard area. It got even better in the 24th minute, as another swift counter-attack ended in a 3-on-3 opportunity for Hamburg, and whilst Manuel Wintzheimer's cross evaded his teammates, Paderborn right-back Okoroji sliced his clearance straight to Simon Terodde, who gratefully headed in from four yards out to double the Hamburg lead.

The Rothosen had been ruthless rather than dominant to race into a two-goal lead, with their hosts more than in the contest but finding themselves two goals behind. This changed in a frantic period of five minutes just after the half-hour mark as HSV went from controlling the game to heading into the half with a deficit to overturn. Firstly Dennis Srbeny stroked home a 34th minute penalty after Tim Leibold's foul on Chris Führich, and the winger was involved again barely two minutes later, as former Paderborn captain Klaus Gjasula lost his bearings, giving the ball away deep in his own half. Srbeny drew the last defender and flicked into the path of Führich who steadied himself and calmly lifted over Daniel Heuer Fernandes to draw things level. The comeback was complete in the 38th minute, Daniel Thioune's men not applying enough pressure on the ball, as Führich stepped in off the right wing and curled a magnificent effort with his weaker left foot past the helpless Daniel Heuer Fernandes.

Terodde and Hunt engineer second comeback

The game continued at the same frenetic tempo after the break, Paderborn threatening from successive set pieces straight after the restart, but Hamburg were able to pull themselves level ten minutes into the second period. Jeremy Dudziak found himself with space to turn for the umpteenth time in the match, offering another 3-on-3 opportunity, playing the ball in behind the Paderborn defence for the cutting Wintzheimer. Wintzheimer shimmied inside Ananou who slid past him, lifing his head to see Simon Terodde waiting two yards out in the middle of the six-yard area to gobble up his second of the game. The pace of the game was unrelenting but the number of clear-cut chances decreased after the Hamburg third, also due to the raft of substitutions made by both managers.

The match received the thrilling finish it deserved, with promotion candidates fighting hammer and tong for an important three points to get into gear at the start of the season. With ten minutes of regulation remaining, another counter-attack saw Wintzheimer clipped in the heels by Vasiliadis in the penalty area, and after a long discussion with the VAR official in Cologne, Aaron Hunt was allowed to step up and send Zingerle the wrong way to open his account for the season. The Rothosen had two gaping chances to finally put the game to bed after going ahead for the second time in the match, first Terodde heading straight into the arms of Zingerle when left unmarked ten yards out and Hunt seeing his effort blocked by a Paderborn defender a minute into injury time after a 3-on-1 break. Daniel Thioune will have been pleased with how his side saw out injury time, never giving their hosts a sniff of scoring late on as happened so often last season. The Rothosen will look to continue the forward momentum at home to Aue on Sunday (kick-off 1:30pm).

Game overview

SC Paderborn: Zingerle - Ananou (88' Evans), Correia, Schonlau, Okoroji - Justvan (73' Schallenberg), Vasiliadis (88' Hünemeier), Ingelsson, Antwi-Adjei, Führich (73' Pröger) - Srbeny 

Hamburger SV: Heuer Fernandes - Gyamerah, Ambrosius, Heyer, Leibold  - Gjasula (65' Hunt), Onana (89' David),  Dudziak (83' Jung) - Narey, Terodde (89' Hinterseer), Wintzheimer (83' Jatta)

Goals: 0-1 Wintzheimer (14'), 0-2 Terodde (24'), 1-2 Srbeny (p., 34'), 2-2 Führich (36'), 3-2 Führich (38'), 3-3 Terodde (57'), 3-4 Hunt (p, 82')

Attendance: 300

Referee: Guido Winkmann (Kerken)

Yellow cards: Correia (27'), Führich (54'), Liebeck (63, physiotherapist), Hünemeier (90'+4) / Gyamerah (15'), Hunt (82')

Red cards: -