Match Report


Terodde at the double as HSV eke out win in Darmstadt

Simon Terodde was the matchwinner for the Rothosen on Saturday, taking his tally for the season to eleven goals.

Hamburger SV brought home three points from Darmstadt thanks to a Simon Terodde brace on Saturday afternoon (12th December), signalling a return to winning ways with a first win in six. The visitors were marginally better for a first hour of the game lacking in chances and inventiveness from the attacking units of either team. Despite going ahead through Terodde, the Rothosen found themselves pegged back by 10-man Darmstadt eleven minutes from time after a well-worked goal from the hosts. But Terodde flicked Tim Leibold's cross into the net three minutes from time to end Hamburg's three-game losing streak.

Goalless at the break

Daniel Thioune made two changes to the starting line-up as he looked for a winning formula, the suspended Sonny Kittel and rested Amadou Onana replaced by Manuel Wintzheimer and Moritz Heyer. The opening to the game was perhaps telling given that both sides were struggling for form, lacking confidence and looking to control the ball to get a foothold in the game. The Rothosen looked most threatening from set-piece situations, benefitted by dangerous, whipped deliveries from Khaled Narey. The best of these chances came in the 18th minute, Stephan Ambrosius meeting the wide man's corner but only able to head into the arms of Darmstadt stopper Marcel Schuhen.

Both teams were struggling to create anything from open play, little movement in the forward lines and inaccurate passing leading to little pressure being built on either goal. The hosts also looked most threatening from dead ball situations, former HSV man Patric Pfeiffer going closest for the Lilies in the 34th minute, rising above Stephan Ambrosius but heading just past the far post with Sven Ulreich stranded. As it was, there were more yellow cards than chances in the first half, three HSV players and one Darmstadt representative going into Nicolas Winter's notebook in the first 45 minutes. 

Terodde double quells Darmstadt fightback

The second half saw the Rothosen enjoy more of the ball yet still had difficulties breaking down the well-organised ranks of the Darmstadt defence. Despite controlling possession, it lasted until the 65th minute for the first shot in anger from the visitors in the second half, but Schuhen was able to gather Narey's long-distance shot at the second attempt. It was unsurprisingly a set piece that produced the first goal of the game, Serdar Dursun handling Aaron Hunt's free-kick in his own area, and Simon Terodde converting at the second attempt after Schuhen had parried his spot-kick. 

Darmstadt's task became all the more difficult fifteen minutes from time, Patrick Herrmann catching Jeremy Dudziak late and receiving his second yellow card of the match. The Lilies were unpeturbed, producing their best move of the game to equalise only five minutes later. Having seen little action for the first 70 minutes, the game had sprung into life in the final 20, the Rothosen going down the other end to put together their best move of the match to put themselves back in front. With an overload in attack, substitute Bobby Wood spread the ball out wide to Tim Leibold, who produced an inch-perfect cross for Simon Terodde, who made a trademark late run across his man to poke in at the near post in what turned out to be the last chance of the game in the 87th minute. It was by no means a classic performance from Hamburg, lacking creativity and shape for the first hour of the game, but they showed resilience and mettle to eke out a deserved win. Daniel Thioune will be hoping for a repeat on Tuesday night (kick-off 6:30pm CET) against Sandhausen at the Volksparkstadion.

Match overview 

SV Darmstadt 98: Schuhen - Pfeiffer, Höhn, Mai - Herrmann, Paik, Holland - Kempe, Mehlem, Seydel (61' Berko) - Dursun (85' Honsak)

Hamburger SV: Ulreich - Vagnoman (85' Jatta), Leistner, Ambrosius, Leibold - Gjasula (46' Hunt), Dudziak (90' Kinsombi), Heyer - Narey, Terodde (90'+2 Jung), Wintzheimer (85' Wood)

Goals: 0-1 Terodde (70'), 1-1 Kempe (79'), 2-1 Terodde (87')

Spectators: unfortunately none

Referee: Nicolas Winter (Hagenbach)

Yellow cards: Herrmann (29'), Manager Anfang (88') / Wintzheimer (7'), Gjasula (36'), Ulreich (40')

Red cards: Herrmann (74', second yellow) / -