Match report


1-1 – HSV pick up a point in Stuttgart

Hamburger SV played a good first half against Stuttgart and took a deserved lead through Lewis Holtby (18’). However, Ginczek equalized shortly before the break.

As they were in the previous game, the HSV supporters were shown a very positive first half on Saturday afternoon. Holtby was in the right place at the right time and put Hamburg deservedly 1-0 up. But shortly before the break, the hosts pulled it back through Ginczek, and the game ended up 1-1.

Holtby scores...

Coach Christian Titz set his team up in an attacking 4-1-4-1 formation and made three personnel changes from the XI that started in Berlin. Stephan Ambrosius replaced van Drongelen to make his Bundesliga debut. Mohamed Gouaida replaced Ito in central midfield, and Luca Waldschmidt led the line in place of Fiete Arp. HSV looked to play with energy after fielding a young side, and put in a good first-half performance. The opening minutes were cagey, as both teams looked to maintain their defensive stability. But HSV soon took control of the game. In the 18th minute, Santos played in Waldschmidt down the left flank. He drove into the box, and while Zieler managed to parry his shot, Lewis Holtby was waiting, and buried the rebound. HSV had been well on top, so it was a deserved lead. The hosts did then start to apply some pressure, but without ever really threatening.        

Half an hour in, and the Rothosen continued to control the match. Particularly impressive were keeper Polllersbeck’s attacking contributions. On the ball he was always assured, and played the ball out with impressive vision and composure. HSV’s tempo also remained high, and Waldschmidt was constantly threatening to double the lead. However, shortly before the break, Stuttgart ruthlessly made the most of one of their few chances. After a Stuttgart cross had been half-cleared, Erik Thommy shot the ball back towards goal. Pollersbeck was unable to hold the shot, and Ginczek pounced to make it 1-1 (44’), meaning the half ended all square.

…unfortunate not to come away with a victory

At the start of the second half, coach Titz made one change, with Bundesliga debutant Stephan Ambrosius making way for Rick van Drongelen. 15 minutes later, Ito came on as HSV looked to re-take the lead. In the early stages of the second half, it was the hosts who looked brightest. However, HSV soon regained their energy and started to trouble Stuttgart with their offensive pressing. The game was being played at a very high tempo, and after the hour mark, it was HSV who looked most likely to score. Kostic and Sakai both had chances in the 62nd minute, before Waldschmmidt saw his shot well saved by Zieler five minutes later. Coach Titz clearly wanted the win, and so brought on another attacker in Andre Hahn. The Rothosen gave it everything, but couldn’t quite get the job done in the final third. In the last 10 minutes, the game became even more frantic. Both teams started to lose their shape but neither managed to create any real chances. Therefore, in spite of a top first-half performance, the victory proved to be just out of reach. HSV head home with one point in the bag.  


Shorthand report:

VfB Stuttgart: Zieler - Pavard, Kaminski (46‘ Akolo), Badstuber, Insua - Aogo (88‘ Mangala) - Ascacibar - Thommy (77‘ Larsen), Gentner - Gomez, Ginczek

Hamburger SV: Pollersbeck - G. Sakai, Ambrosius (46‘ van Drongelen), Jung, Douglas Santos - Steinmann (73‘ Hahn) - Hunt, Gouaida (59‘ Ito), Holtby, Kostic - Waldschmidt

Goals: 0-1 Holtby (18‘), 1-1 Ginczek (44‘)

Attendance: 58,000 (sold out)

Referee: Dr. Felix Brych (Munich)

Yellow cards: Aogo (55‘) / Jung (57‘)

Second yellows: - / -

Red cards: - / -