Match Report


Late comeback in vain as Würzburg shock HSV

Würzburger Kickers sealed an important victory in their battle against relegation on Sunday at the Stadion am Dallenberg.

Jeremy Dudziak and Bobby Wood's late goals were not enough for HSV to steal a point at the flyeralarm Arena on Sunday (21st February), made to pay for a lifeless and sloppy display with and without the ball by Würzburger Kickers. The team from Lower Franconia found themselves two goals to the good at the half, punishing individual erros by the HSV backline. Patrick Sontheimer's strike nine minutes after the restart put the game out of the Rothosen's reach despite the two late goals, last-placed Würzburg beating first-placed HSV to reinvigorate the fight for promotion and relegation in the 2. Bundesliga.

Würzburg punish sloppy HSV

Daniel Thioune made two changes from the HSV side which had drawn against Greuther Fürth on Matchday 21, Amadou Onana coming in for the suspended Stephan Ambrosius, Moritz Heyer moving back to the centre of defence, and Khaled Narey replacing Bakery Jatta, who picked up a slight knock in training during the week. The Rothosen started brightly, enjoying the lion's share of possession, only the post denying the visitors the lead in the 10th minute, Sonny Kittel's free-kick from 25 yards beating Würzburg 'keeper Hendrik Bonmann but rattling against the woodwork. Instead it was the hosts who took the lead in the 19th minute, HSV not heeding the warning a mere two minutes earlier from Würzburg's Czech midfielder Martin Hasek. A FWK attack seemed to be under control until Jan Gyamerah hammered his clearance straight into Moritz Heyer, the ball falling straight to Hasek on the halfway line, who made the most of the 3-on-2 situation, driving at the Hamburg defence and slotting past Sven Ulreich from the edge of the area when not closed down by the two remaining Hamburg defenders.

The hosts doubled their lead on the half-hour mark, yet more sleepy defending from the Rothosen gifting the Kickers a second. A corner was only half-cleared by Hamburg, played back into the box by Hägele, and rolling under the foot of Gideon Jung to Douglas at the back post, who hammered past Ulreich to give last-placed Würzburg a shock two-goal lead. After their bright start, the Rothosen came nowhere near troubling Bonmann in the Würzburg net, lacking any kind of energy and pace when in possession, unable to string more than a handful of passes together, and looking vulnerable at the back.

Dudziak and Wood strikes too late

The second half started more promisingly, Daniel Thioune making two half-time substitutions to inject some tempo into the HSV game. Substitute Manuel Wintzheimer forced Bonmann into a save for the first time, and Tim Leibold's cross-cum-shot was headed off the line, both inside the first minutes of the half. Yet the defensive frailty reared its head again, Tim Leibold giving the ball away barely 30 yards from his own goal in the 54th minute. Patrick Sontheimer was given all the time in the world to line up his shot from 20 yards and place it into the far corner with his left foot to extend Würzburg's lead.

Despite little pressure on the Würzburg goal, HSV found their way back into the game in the 72nd minute with their first real attack since the Kickers' third. Tim Leibold's accurate cross was laid back first time by Simon Terodde to Jeremy Dudziak, who had time to control the ball and tonk it home on the half-volley from eight yards out. The Hamburg coaching staff will have hoped this would light a fire under their players, but the expected siege on Bonmann's goal was not forthcoming. Bobby Wood reduced the deficit with one minute of normal time remaining, nodding in fellow substitute Josha Vagnoman's head back from close range to score his first HSV goal in over two years. A nightmare afternoon was complete in injury time, Amadou Onana fouling his opponent on the edge of the area and seeing his second yellow card of the afternoon. In truth, the scoreline flattered to deceive the Rothosen, who scored with their only two notable attacks after Sontheimer's 54th-minute strike. The blue, white and black side of Hamburg will have to improve drastically for their visit to the Millerntor for the Hamburg derby next Monday (kick-off 8:30pm CET).

Game overview 

FC Würzburger Kickers: Bonmann - Feltscher, Douglas, Strohdiek, Feick - Sontheimer (90'+1 Dietz), Hägele, Hasek – Pieringer (86' van la Parra), Lotric (79' Kopacz), Munsy (79' Baumann)

Hamburger SV: Ulreich – Gyamerah (81' Vagnoman), Jung, Heyer, Leibold - Onana, Kinsombi (81' Wood) – Narey (46' Wintzheimer), Hunt (46' Dudziak), Kittel (69' Heil) - Terodde

Goals: 1-0 Hasek (19'), 2-0 Douglas (30'), 3-0 Sontheimer (54'), 3-1 Dudziak (72'), 3-2 Wood (89')

Spectators: unfortunately none

Referee: Sven Waschitzki (Essen)

Yellow cards: - / Onana (45')

Red cards: - / Onana (90', second yellow card)