Match report


Scoreless in Bochum as HSV take a point

HSV shared the points with VfL Bochum on Saturday’s away fixture. Hamburg had a better hold on the game and early chances but failed to make them count.

Hamburger SV had to make do with just one point away at VfL Bochum on Matchday 27. Neither side did enough to break the deadlock in front of a sold out crowd of 26,000. HSV were unable to take advantage of their early chances against a hard-fighting Bochum side who posed a threat on the counter attack. Despite no goals, the game remained exciting until the final whistle as HSV gave it everything in pursuit of the winner whilst the home side had a shout for a late penalty.

Chances early on…

Head coach Hannes Wolf named the same starting XI that began so well against Darmstadt in Matchday 26 and it was a similar story today, as the young side looked determined and strong in the search for an opener. Die Rothosen almost took a 1-0 lead after just five minutes when Khaled Narey broke down the right hand side, but saw his powerful effort bounce back off the near post. 15 minutes later Berkay Özcan had the first clear-cut chance of the game, but his close-range header was stopped fantastically by Bochum goalkeeper Manuel Riemann.

Following two early chances for the visitors, Bochum changed their approach in order to limit the open space in midfield. As a result, Wolf’s men found it difficult the break down the Bochum defence. As a result, HSV saw their chances limited for the remainder of the half. At the other end of the pitch, Hamburg goalkeeper Julian Pollersbeck was only tested once, as Bochum hit the visitors on a counter attack but former Hamburg man Tesche was unable to beat the number one. After 45 hard-fought minutes, there was still nothing to split the two sides as they headed in for half time.

… and a little bit of luck in the last minute

HSV continued to control the game after the break as they continued their search for an opener. Bochum’s approach remained negative, resorting to long balls towards the HSV penalty area to pose their only real threat. The compact shape and hard working nature of the home side frustrated HSV, who struggled to find space to utilise in attack.

Even when a chance came about, Die Rothosen lacked the precision to pose a real threat on goal. Despite giving everything they had, Wolf’s men were unable to find the break through thanks to some good work from Riemann in goal and the rest of the Bochum defense. The home side may have had a reason to be frustrated in the last minute, as another long and high ball into the Hamburg area fell to Losilla, whose shot struck the arm of Rick van Drongelen. On another day, a penalty may have been awarded but referee Lasse Koslowski decided otherwise and the game ended scoreless. Whilst Die Rothosen may have a right to feel frustrated to have not taken all three points, it could have ended very differently considering the late penalty shout.