Match Report


Ten-men HSV win 1-0 in Magdeburg

Hamburger SV picked up a 1-0 win away to 1. FC Magdeburg on Friday night. Despite having to play the last 40 minutes with ten men after David Bates’s dismissal, Khaled Narey managed to find the winner for the away side in the 77th minute.

Hamburger SV were victorious in their game on Matchday 11 away to 1. FC Magdeburg. HSV ran out deserved 1-0 winners in Hannes Wolf’s first game as head coach while playing the majority of the second half with ten men. After a dominant first half, David Bates was shown a second yellow card in the 53rd minute but it did not stop Die Rothosen picking up all three points. It was the fourth win in five away games and a great start for Hannes Wolf.

A difficult beginning…

It was the first game for Hannes Wolf as the new coach of Hamburger SV. Wolf made only one change to the team that started against VfL Bochum with Pierre-Michel Lasogga coming in for Tatsuya Ito to start as the lone striker and provide some physical presence up front.

The game started in a very competitive and aggressive fashion. 1. FC Magdeburg were not in the mood to let HSV leave with any points as they put the visitors under some early pressure but the defence held firm. After 15 minutes, Wolf’s team grew into the game and started to up the tempo. After a quick counter attack, Lewis Holtby and Pierre-Michel Lasogga linked up well to find Khaled Narey but his shot was saved. This was the first meaningful attack of the game but it spurred Die Rothosen on. Shortly after, Aaron Hunt set up Hwang and despite his shot finding a way past goalkeeper Brunst, Romain Bregerie was there to clear off the line. HSV were the dominant team and a goal would have been thoroughly deserved at this point of the game. Magdeburg did not provide much attacking threat and tried to pressure the visitors into mistakes in order to find an opening but this plan was to no avail. The first half ended up petering out at 0-0.

…then up stepped Narey

The second half began in turbulent fashion. Firstly, FCM forward Christian Beck tried his distance from well over 40 yards, Holtby had a good chance inside the penalty area and then came the potential game changer. David Bates received a second yellow card for a foul and the away side were down to ten men. HSV appeared unmoved by this dismissal and continued to press forward while Magdeburg defended stoutly. However, it took until 70 minutes before HSV created any dangerous chances as Bakery Jatta and Orel Mangala both went close to scoring but were thwarted by Brunst.

HSV were not overrun in the game and in fact controlled the tempo even with a man less and they were rewarded for this endeavour. After great link-up play between Mangala and Lasogga, the ball was played through to Narey who finished wonderfully underneath the body of Brunst. This was alsoi a reward for the hard work that Wolf’s men had put in and it was a deserved lead for the better team. The visitors did not want to let their lead slip as Wolf changed to a back five with Leo Lacroix coming on for Lasogga. Magdeburg threw everything at HSV but the defence stayed firm as they held on for the deserved three points.

Match overview:

1. FC Magdeburg: Brunst - Butzen, Bregerie, Schäfer, Niemeyer - Rother (82‘ Kwadwo), Weil (66‘ Ignjovski) - Türpitz, Bülter - Costly (74‘ Lohkemper), Beck

Hamburger SV: Pollersbeck - Sakai, Bates, van Drongelen, Santos -  Mangala - Hwang (69‘ Jatta), Hunt, Holtby, Narey - Lasogga (81‘ Lacroix)

Goals: 0:1 Narey (77‘)

Attendance: 23,000 (sold out)

Referee: Timo Gerach

Yellow cards: Weil (24’), Beck (85’), Niemeyer (90’) / Bates (2’)

Yellow-red cards: - / Bates (53‘)

Red cards: - / -