Match Report


1:0 - HSV celebrates home win against KSC

The Rothosen won 1-0 against Karlsruher SC in a great football match on Saturday. The goal of the day was scored by midfielder Ludovit Reis.

Hamburger SV won their home match of matchday 7 with 1:0 (1:0) against Karlsruher SC on Saturday (3 September). The Badeners had travelled to the Volkspark with the recommendation of three wins in a row with a total of eleven goals, but the Hamburgers were able to win this top match in front of 45,623 enthusiastic spectators in the Volksparkstadion after 95 gruelling, combative minutes with strong play from both sides. Ludovit Reis had scored the goal of the day in the 43rd minute, putting the crowning touch to a united team performance that gave the Hamburg side their fifth clean sheet result in their seventh match.

Chances on both sides ...

HSV coach Tim Walter fielded almost the same starting line-up against KSC as in the 2:0 win in Nuremberg, the only change being that this time Muheim defended on the left instead of Leibold. And the well-rehearsed Reds got off to a good start, after an initial warning shot by Reis, Kittel seriously tested KSC goalkeeper Gersbeck for the first time in the seventh minute. But the visitors were also involved right from the start and underlined with good ball sequences why their strong offensive line of Wanitzek, Nebel, Batmaz and Schleusener had scored eleven goals in the last three games.

Schleusener forced Heuer Fernandes into a brilliant save in the twelfth minute after a Batmaz pass, which made the Volkspark really shake for the first time. All in all, it was an even and entertaining opening phase in which both teams had equal shares of the ball. And the big chances were evenly distributed, because after about half an hour, both Jatta and Schleusener again just missed the goal and thus the possible lead. And this was not to be the only top chance brace, because shortly before the break both teams created another hundred percent opportunity in quick succession, but neither Kittel nor Schleusener for the third could take advantage of them, so it seemed to go into the break with the score at 0-0. But then, just before the final whistle, Reis took heart on the right wing, launched a spirited solo run into the centre and, with the help of the inside of the post, curled the ball into the net for a 1-0 half-time lead - the crowning glory of an even and playfully appealing duel in the first half.

... and three points thanks to Reis' goal of the day

After the change of ends, the game lost none of its tempo, class or scoring chances. Both teams continued to pursue a playful approach and combined dangerously several times into the final third, so that again opportunities came up on both sides. Karlsruhe's Wanitzek had the biggest chance, but after just under an hour he failed to hit the post from a half-left position because Heuer Fernandes had his fingers in the pie again and deflected the ball decisively.

The KSC opportunity was countered by the Hamburg team, who were now taking more and more risks against the visitors, who were even more dynamic and determined in their counterattacks, with strong finishes from Jatta, Reis and a double chance for Glatzel, none of which brought the 2:0 they had hoped for. However, coupled with good play and clear dominance, the Walter team earned the lead that took them into the hot final phase. In the final phase, there was a lot of trouble when referee Reichel decided on a penalty for HSV after a duel between Nebel and Benes, but took it back after seeing the pictures. This was the starting signal for the five-minute injury time, in which HSV defended the narrow but deserved lead with a lot of vigour and serenity and thus in the end clinched the hard-fought three-pointer. And the rest after this emotional and inspiring football match was enormous joy, which the Rothosen enjoyed and savoured for minutes with the fans in the "Tollhaus Volksparkstadion". 

Match Summary

Hamburger SV: Heuer Fernandes - Heyer, Vuskovic, Schonlau, Muheim - Reis, Meffert, Kittel (76. Benes) - Jatta (90. David), Glatzel, Dompé (90.+3. Bilbija)

Karlsruher SC: Gersbeck - Thiede (67. Jung), Franke, Ambrosius, Heise - Gondorf, Breithaupt (78. Rapp), Wanitzek - Nebel (90. Cueto) - Batmaz (67. Kaufmann), Schleusener

Goals: 1:0 Reis (43.)

Attendance: 45.623

Referee: Tobias Reichel (Stuttgart)

Yellow Cards: Muheim / Nebel, Ambrosius

Yellow-Red Cards: - / -

Red Cards: - / -