Match Report


2:3 - HSV loses unluckily to FCM

HSV lost their home match against 1. FC Magdeburg unhappily with 2:3 in the end, despite catching up and an incredibly exciting and curious final phase.

Hamburger SV lost their matchday 13 home match against 1. FC Magdeburg on Sunday (32 October) with 2:3 (0:1). The Reds were behind early on and could not fight back in the first half either, had to concede 0:2 directly after the change of ends and then started a final offensive that could not be seen in this form in the 55. 304 full Volksparkstadion: First the 1:2 by Königsdörffer, whose supposed 2:2 was subsequently disallowed; and when Magdeburg scored the 3:1 by counterattack into Hamburg's final offensive, the Redosen did not give up and came through debutant Sanne to the 2:3 - and in the final second of injury time even almost to the 3:3, which, however, the Magdeburg goal bar prevented. In the end, HSV suffered a home defeat that was as unfortunate as it was unnecessary.

Early blow ...

HSV coach Tim Walter had to rebuild due to the red suspension of captain Schonlau and the injury-related absences of Heyer and Jatta, as well as the extended absence from training of top scorer Glatzel. And Hamburg's newly formed starting eleven got off to a promising start, but then immediately had to put away a heavy blow when the visitors, accompanied by around 7,000 fans, put the first exclamation mark on the extremely atmospheric Volksparkstadion: Atik was quick as a flash after a Hamburg ball loss and served El Hankouri, who scored the early 1:0 in the eleventh minute. Afterwards, HSV tried a lot, put in a lot of effort and had 65 per cent of the ball after half an hour - but no scoring chances worth mentioning. Magdeburg made it difficult for the Rothosen, defending with a tight five-man backline and practising aggressive midfield pressing. On the offensive side, they speculated on quick turnarounds, which brought them two or three attempts on goal, but which did not present Heuer Fernandes with any insurmountable problems. However, the same was true on the other side until the break, because the Hamburg team could come up with a few crosses in the last minutes of the first half and especially two long-distance shots by Mikelbrencis and Meffert, but this did not change the 0:1 score at the break against FCM keeper Reimann and his front men.

... and an uncrowned chase

After the change of ends, disaster seemed to continue to take its course. The second half was only six minutes old when Magdeburg scored the first real attack of the second 45 minutes to go 2-0 up through Atik's goal from an offside-suspicious position. But at that moment, nothing broke down for the Rothosen, instead an all-or-nothing mentality spread. On the bench, where Walter made three changes in the 55th minute, and on the pitch, where the Reds now put the pedal to the metal. With success! After Reis' preparatory work, Königsdörffer scored the quick 1:2 equaliser (58th), and only three minutes later he scored what was supposed to be the 2:2 equaliser - but this goal was retrospectively taken back after a VAR warning and a review by the referee. This was the start of a highly exciting final phase in the "Hexenkessel Volksparkstadion", in which the Walter team threw everything forward, the FCM naturally found spaces to counter-attack and in which it went back and forth at times - and in which the Magdeburg team made it 3:1 in the last minutes through the substitute Rieckmann in the 88th minute against the Rothosen, who were far advanced and therefore defensively unsorted. However, Walter's team did not give up, and in injury time the debutant Sanne made contact with the ball to make it 2:3, and in the final seconds they attacked with all their might and with Heuer Fernandes, but Magbedurg's Gnaka saved on the goal line before Reis hit the crossbar with his head in the 95th minute. It was the final point of an unbelievable final phase, which was finally not crowned with the 3:3 equaliser.

Match Summary:

Hamburger SV: Heuer Fernandes - Mikelbrencis (55. Amaechi), Vuskovic, David, Muheim - Reis, Meffert, Suhonen (55. Benes) - Kittel (90.+2. Sanne), Königsdörffer, Dompé (55. Glatzel)

1. FC Magdeburg: Reimann - Piccini, Elfadli, Gnaka - Bockhorn, Müller (83. Condé), Krempicki, Bell Bell - El Hankouri (60. Schuler), Kwarteng (70. Rieckmann), Atik (83. Brünker)

Goals: 0:1 El Hankouri (11.), 0:2 Atik (51.), 1:2 Königsdörffer (58.) , 1:3 Rieckmann (88.), 2:3 Sanne (90.+3.)

Attedance: 55.304

Referee: Harm Osmers (Hannover)

Yellow Cards: Vuskovic / Bell Bell, Schuler

Yellow Cards: - / -

Red Cards - / -