Match Report


3-1! HSV defeat Schalke in season opener

HSV begin the new second-division season with a win, defeating recently relegated Schalke 3-1 after goals from Glatzel, Heyer and Jatta.

HSV celebrated three points on Matchday 1 of the 2021/22 season after a 3-1 victory of FC Schalke 04 on Friday evening (23rd July). In front of 19,770 spectators at the Veltins Arena, the Rothosen got off to a poor start and fell behind early on with a goal from ex HSV player Simon Terodde (7'). New signing Robert Glatzel missed from the penalty spot in the 28th minute, but the Rothosen turned the game around in the second half thanks to goals from Glatzel (53’), Moritz Heyer (86’) and Bakery Jatta (90’).

Rothosen fall behind early on…

HSV head coach Tim Walter placed his trust in the side which defeated FC Basel in the final friendly (1-0), as he named an unchanged lineup for the season opener in a 4-1-2-1-2 formation with a midfield diamond. It was a rough start for HSV, as Schalke’s Simon Terodde came back to haunt his former club. After narrowly missing the target in the 5th minute, he found the back of the net just two minutes later. After Jan Gyamerah lost possession on the halfway line, Marius Bülter sent Terodde in behind, who gave HSV keeper Heuer Fernandes no chance with his chip to make it 1-0 to the home side. A VAR check ruled against a potential offside and the goal stood.

HSV didn't respond well and allowed too many misplaced passes in their build-up game, posing little to no threat to the five-man Schalke backline. As the game wore on, however, the home side became more and more passive, and the Rothosen seized more control of the game as they managed to shift play almost completely into their opponents' half. The reward did not take long to come: David Kinsombi received possession on the corner of the Schalke area, turned on his touch and was brought down by Florian Flick. Referee Timo Gerach did not hesitate and immediately pointed to the spot. Unfortunately, Robert Glatzel didn't make the most of his spot kick and S04 keeper Langer guessed the right way to keep the scores at 1-0 (28'). Marius Bülter (36') and Thomas Ouwejan (45'+4) each had chances at the other end but were denied by either the side netting or the impressive Heuer Fernandes. As a result, Hamburg went into the break with a narrow one-goal deficit.

… Before turning the game around

Neither side made any changes at the break, but the second half was full of energy. HSV continued their possession-rich approach from the first half and found more and more attacking solutions. In the 53rd minute, the pressure paid off when Robert Glatzel was brought down on the edge of the Schalke are. Tim Leibold stepped up for the resulting free-kick and saw his effort saved by goalkeeper Langer, who was unable to deny Robert Glatzel's close range rebound. 1-1. With the scores level, an open game developed. Firstly, Jatta was unable to double his side's tally straight away (54'), before Heuer Fernandes impressed again to save an effort from Ouwejan (55'), before producing a strong save from a close-range Simon Terodde (61').

With a number of changes, one of which saw Maximilian Rohr make his competitive debut for the club, the punch was taken out of the game somewhat. However, HSV remained the more active team and saw their courageous performance rewarded shortly before the final whistle. Debutant Rohr broke through to the byline after some good interplay with fellow substitute Sonny Kittel, before finding another substitute in Moritz Heyer in the area, who fired across goal and into the far corner to give his side a 2-1 lead (86'). A few minutes later, Heuer Fernandes was on hand again with two sensational reflex saves to deny Kaminski (88') and Krasniqi (89'), before Bakery Jatta put the icing on the cake. After some good work from Kittel, Jatta was able to open his account for the new season and secure a perfect start to the new season.

Match overview:

FC Schalke 04: Langer - Thiaw, Flick (56‘ Becker), Kaminski - Ranftl, Pálsson, Ouwejan – Drexler (73‘ Krasniqi), Latza (32’ Idrizi) - Terodde, Bülter

Hamburger SV: Heuer Fernandes - Gyamerah, David, Schonlau, Leibold - Meffert, Reis (67‘ Heyer), Kinsombi (71‘ Rohr), Wintzheimer (78‘ Kittel) - Jatta, Glatzel (78‘ Kaufmann)

Goals: 1-0 Terodde (7‘), 1-1 Glatzel (53‘), 1-2 Heyer (86‘), 1-3 Jatta (90‘)

Attendance: 19,770

Referee: Timo Gerach (Landau)

Yellow cards: Flick (45’), Bülter (84’) / Meffert (34’), Heyer (88’)

Red cards: - / -