Match Report


Double Kittel: 2:0 against Heidenheim

HSV won their home match against 1. FC Heidenheim 2:0 thanks to a strong team performance and a Kittel double, clinching their third win in a row. 

Hamburger SV won their home match of the 22nd matchday with 2:0 (0:0) against 1. FC Heidenheim on Saturday (12 February). In front of 10,000 admitted spectators at the Volksparkstadion, Sonny Kittel scored in the 64th minute to give Hamburg the lead, and they added to it through Kittel's penalty in the 78th minute to take the three points. It was the third win in a row for the Rothosen - and also a deserved success after they had been the team that dominated the game in the first half with the better goal-scoring chances and were able to crown their strong team performance in the second half with Kittel's double strike.

Intense first half...

HSV coach Tim Walter only made one change to his starting eleven compared to the furious 5-0 win in Darmstadt: Kittel was back after serving his yellow ban and took Kinsombi's place in midfield. And Hamburg's number 10 also caused the first real dicey situation in the tenth minute with a free kick after the Reds had been the more active team in the opening phase, but at the same time had also got into dicey situations with two pressing actions by the Heidenheimers. But all in all, it remained the same: HSV set the tone, played quickly and directly forward and subsequently had good finishes through Alidou, Reis and especially through Jatta's breakthrough on the right side. But the greatest deed from Hamburg's point of view was done by keeper Heuer Fernandes, who thwarted a triple chance of the visitors with several outstanding reflexes within a few seconds. And that was exactly how the first half could be summed up: HSV were enormously pressured and very strong in play and combination, while Heidenheim defended doggedly and nickel-and-dimed every now and then with dangerous pinpricks. However, as both styles of play did not lead to any goals in the end, the game went into half-time goalless after 45 intense and entertaining minutes.

... and Kittel's brace

After the second half, the game changed somewhat. The FCH continued to stand compact and disciplined, but also became stronger in the game with the ball. Thus, the share of the game shifted a bit and Heidenheim now had several and better chances to score. But who struck after about an hour, that was HSV! Kittel scored with the best attack of the second half to give Hamburg the lead. It was the starting signal for a highly intensive final phase, in which the visitors kept their foot on the gas and wanted to force the equaliser, while the Walter men defended strongly and vehemently and played for the second goal with quick counterattacks. And one of these counter-attacks led to a penalty kick after a foul on Jatta, who was running through on the right, which Kittel converted safely in the 78th minute to make it 2-0 and thus finally set the course for victory. Kittel & Co. deserved the win, as they did not let up a bit in the following period and even continued to play forward, keeping the action away from their own goal for the most part. In the end, a strong team performance resulted in a deserved victory and the third win in a row, which brings the Rothosen home win tally to six.

Match Summary:

Hamburger SV: Heuer Fernandes - Heyer, Schonlau, Vuskovic, Muheim - Meffert, Reis (90. David), Kittel (82. Kinsombi) - Jatta (90. Wintzheimer), Glatzel (90. Kaufmann), Alidou (66. Chakvetadze)

1. FC Heidenheim: Müller - Föhrenbach, Hüsing, Mainka, Busch - Burnic (72. Sessa), Theuerkauf (80. Schimmer), Schöppner - Mohr (72. Kühlwetter), Leipertz (72. Malone), Kleindienst (90. Kerschbaumer)

Goals: 1:0 Kittel (63.), 2:0 Kittel (78.)

Attendance: 10.000

Referee: Christian Dingert

Yellow Card: Muheim (74.) / Föhrenbach (43.), Kleindienst (85.)

Yellow-Red Cards: - / -

Red Cards: - / -