Match Report


HSV beaten 2-1 by Sandhausen

HSV’s Matchday 29 catch-up fixture against SV Sandhausen ended in a 2-1 defeat. Manuel Wintzheimer’s goal halved the deficit in the closing stages, but the Rothosen left empty-handed.

The rescheduled Matchday 29 game between Hamburger SV and SV Sandhausen (22 April) ended in defeat for Daniel Thioune’s men. After dominating the first half, the hosts, SV Sandhausen, rewarded themselves just moments into the second half after a dangerous attack was turned in by Ambrosius for an own goal (46’). Six minutes later, Keita-Ruel was on the end of another cross and doubled his team’s lead (52’). Wintzheimer, who had come on from the bench, pulled a goal back in the 76th minute. 

Started badly...

Daniel Thioune set the team up in an offensive 4-2-3-1 formation, but the hosts, who were also playing their first game since a long coronavirus-related break, prevented the HSV forwards from creating anything. Eight minutes into the game, Bakery Jatta took a shot to the face from close range and had to come off. After this, the Rothosen just could not find their rhythm. Sandhausen, on the other hand, were aggressive, dominated the game and created a string of chances in the first half. When the half time whistle blew, HSV had little more than a Kittel chance to reflect on positively, while SVS, with 14 efforts on goal, were unlucky not to be in front. 

… and ended badly

Daniel Thioune’s men wanted to use the half-time break to gather themselves and go and take matters into their own hands on the pitch. But just 20 seconds into the second half, Sandhausen got their reward for the first 45 minutes, as Ambrosius headed a cross into his own net. In the 52nd minute, when Keita-Ruel doubled the hosts’ lead, victory looked well beyond reach for the Rothosen. The visitors posed too little threat going forward and SV Sandhausen defended their two-goal lead without any problems. HSV did not give up the fight, however, and edged their way back into contention. Wintzheimer, on from the bench, gave his side hope as he beat the goalkeeper in a one-on-one, leaving Hamburg with 15 minutes to find an equaliser. The Rothosen threw everything forward, including Sven Ulreich for a stoppage-time corner, but SV Sandhausen held on for a deserved victory. 

Match Overview:

SV Sandhausen: Kapino - Nauber, Kister (73‘ Paurevic), Zhirov - Zenga (73‘ Bachmann) - Diekmeier, Taffertshofer, Biada (80‘ Linsmayer), Nartey (73‘ Contento) - Keita-Ruel (73‘ Esswein), Behrens

Hamburger SV: Ulreich - Ambrosius, Heyer (84‘ Dudziak), Vagnoman - Gyamerah (63‘ Wintzheimer), Kinsombi (85‘ Meißner), Hunt, Leibold - Jatta (15‘ Onana), Kittel (85‘ Narey) - Terodde

Goals: 1-0 Ambrosius (46‘, OG), 2-0 Keita-Ruel (52‘), 2-1 Wintzheimer (76‘)

Attendance: sadly none

Referee: Harm Osmers (Hanover)

Yellow cards: - / Terodde (41’), Heyer (68’), Onana (71’), Narey (90’)

Red cards: - / -