Match Report


HSV Progress to Quarter Finals after Crazy Penalty Shootout!

No goals were scored in 90 minutes. In extra time, Robert Glatzel (92nd) and Anthony Modeste (120th, penalty kick) score. In the decisive penalty shoot-out, Florian Kainz touches the ball twice. 

HSV is through to the quarter-finals of the DFB Pokal. In the third round, the Rothosen won against 1. FC Köln on Tuesday evening (18 January) with 5:4 after a penalty shoot-out. The decisive penalty kick by Florian Kainz landed in the goal, but the Cologne player had touched the ball twice beforehand by slipping away and the goal was disallowed. The 1,000 spectators in the Rhein-Energie-Stadion had seen a varied and even game during the regular playing time. Both teams had their chances to decide the match within the 90 minutes, HSV even hit the post twice. But the game went into extra time. In extra time, Robert Glatzel scored first after great preparation by Sonny Kittel to take the lead (92nd), which lasted until the last seconds of extra time. Then referee Daniel Schlager decided to award a penalty after Schonlau had slightly tugged at Anthony Modeste, which the substitute from Cologne converted to make it 1-1 (120.+2). In the penalty shoot-out, Kittel missed for HSV and Salih Özcan for Cologne. Then came Kainz's unlucky attempt and HSV entered the quarter-finals. 

HSV Unlucky with the Post...

Four days after the 1:1 at Dynamo Dresden, HSV coach Tim Walter changed his team in two positions. In place of David Kinsombi and Jan Gyamerah, Manuel Wintzheimer and Miro Muheim played from the start in Hamburg's 4-3-3 system, which tried to press early and high. This was intended to put FC under pressure right from the start of the game, but the Cologne team went into the match with an identical idea - and got off to the better start in this respect.

With their early attack they put the Hamburg team under pressure several times around their own penalty area and thus also had a few attempts and, above all, the biggest chance of the opening phase, but Schonlau was just able to prevent what should have been a safe 0:1 through Uth at the last second. And this scene seemed to have shaken up the Reds, because they took over more and more of the game and first kept the game even and then even determined it in the final phase of the first half. And this increase in performance was almost rewarded, because after Glatzel had only just missed the 1:0, Heyer failed to hit the left post at the break and unluckily missed the 1:0, which would not have been undeserved at this point due to the distribution of the game shares and the 2:1 lead in terms of major chances.

with an advantage..

After the change of ends, both teams started dynamically again, whereby it was again Cologne who had the first chances. The focus here was on HSV keeper Heuer Fernandes, who had to make two great saves against Thielmann and Andersson in the first five minutes after the restart. But then it was the Red Shorts again who had more of the game, who played courageously forward with good ball sequences and fluent combinations - and who also had their chances.

Kittel, in particular, narrowly failed to score with a free kick about a quarter of an hour before the end. Speaking of standard situations: At this point, the Rothosen had earned a corner ratio of 10:4, which can be seen as proof of the game with Hamburg having a definite advantage. And these were almost reflected in the result shortly before the end, but once again the advanced Heyer had bad luck on his boot and failed to hit the aluminium for the second time in this match after a Kittel free-kick. So after 90 very entertaining minutes it remained a goalless draw of the very good kind, which thus went into extra time.

... and the crazy victory

oth coaches used the short break before the start of extra time to adjust their teams tactically once again and to really push them. And the Walter men had obviously listened better, because only two minutes after the restart, HSV pulled the lead out of the hat. Kittel had made a wonderful break down the left and crossed in softly so that striker Glatzel, who had been involved in several duels up to that point, could nod in perfectly.

A wonderful attack and a deserved lead, which was defended until the 120th minute. But then came the last Cologne attack and with it an aerial duel between Schonlau and Modeste, which really gave the home side a penalty in the last seconds of extra time and thus the 1-1 equaliser through Modeste. What a game! And that was far from being the final, because there was still a penalty shoot-out, which also only brought the decision with the last shooter and in the craziest way. After HSV had taken a 5:4 lead with their last penalty kick, Cologne's Kainz slipped away from the last FC penalty kick and touched the ball with his left leg before he shot it into the goal with his right. This was a breach of the rules, as a penalty must be taken with the first contact, so it was deemed to have been missed and HSV celebrated their entry into the quarter-finals of the DFB Pokal to great jubilation and fanfare. What a cup thriller - with the better end for HSV, who are now among the last eight teams in the DFB Pokal.  

Match Summary

1. FC Köln: Schwäbe - Ehizibue (66.Schmitz), Kilian, Hübers, J. Horn (60.Özcan) - Ljubicic, Hector, Ki. Schindler (76.Duda), Thielmann (100.Kainz) - Uth, Andersson (60.Modeste)

Hamburger SV: Heuer Fernandes - Heyer, Vuskovic, Schonlau, Muheim (111.Gyamerah) - Meffert, Reis, Kittel - Alidou (104.Kinsombi), Glatzel (116.Kaufmann), Wintzheimer (78.Jatta)

Goals: 0:1 Glatzel (92.), 1:1 Modeste (120.)

Penalty Kicks: 1:2 Kinsombi, 1:2 Özcan / Heuer Fernandes hält, 1:2 Kittel / Schwäbe hält, 2:2 Modeste, 2:3 Vuskovic, 3:3 Ljubicic, 3:4 Gyamerah, 4:4 Duda, 4:5 Schonlau, 4:5 Kainz Scored, But cancled out for hitting the ball with two feet!

Attendance:  1.000 

Referee Daniel Schlager (Hügelsheim)

Yellow Cards: Hector (43.), Schindler (76.), Hübers (82.) / Reis (90.+3), Walter (100.), Schonlau (120.)

Yellow-Red Cards - / -

Red Cards: - / -