Match Report


Hochscheidt at the double as HSV go down in Aue

Three goals for Erzgebirge Aue and a red card for Gideon Jung sealed a disappointing away day for the Rothosen in Saxony.

Two goals from Jan Hochscheidt saw Erzgebirge Aue return to form and hand HSV a second defeat in a row on Saturday (29th February). The Rothosen went into the break a goal down, with Pascal Testroet scoring the only goal of a tame first period with few chances in either box. The Rothosen came out of the break strongly yet couldn't generate enough pressure on Martin Männel's goal and received a setback through Gideon Jung's red card just before the hour mark. A lackless performance was rounded off by two goals from Jan Hochscheidt late on, as Aue won their first game since the Christmas break.

Testroet gives Violets the lead

One point from the past two games meant that Dieter Hecking reacted with three changes to the starting line-up compared to the 2-0 loss to St. Pauli last Saturday. Ewerton came in for van Drongelen at centre-back, Narey for Kittel on the right wing and Hinterseer back in place of Finnish striker Pohjanpalo. The Erzgebirgsstadion has been something of a fortress for the Violets over the past year, having only lost one game since April 2019 in Aue. The Rothosen were able to see why in the opening quarter of an hour, with a number of over-aggressive and niggly fouls hampering HSV's progress on the ball, with Ewerton having to be substituted after 22 minutes after a strong tackle from Nazarov. The combative nature of the hosts meant that neither side could get into a rhythm, with shots from distance from Hochscheidt, Leibold and Narey the only efforts on goal in the opening half an hour.

The game started to open up as the final 15 minutes of the half ticked into view. A neat move down the Hamburg right-hand side saw Hochscheidt free in the area and his square ball found Testroet in front of Daniel Heuer Fernandes, but with his back to goal, the 29-year-old couldn't direct his inventive flick on target. Hamburg had a number of half-chances of their own but were lacking conviction in their movement and passing to truly test the Violets' goal. The opening goal of the game unsurprisingly came from a set piece, with both sides looking unlikely to create many chances from open play. Riese's free-kick hit the Hamburg wall but fell straight to Fandrich, who let fly from all of 35 yards. The shot itself was unlikely to trouble Heuer Fernandes, but fell straight to Pascal Testroet ten yards from goal, who turned and passed into the net in one smooth motion to give the hosts the lead in the 40th minute. Jordan Beyer could have levelled for the guests on the stroke of half-time after chaos in the Aue box from a HSV corner, but Martin Männel in the Violets' goal did excellently to keep out the right-back's header from the edge of the six yard box.

Hochscheidt double seals forgettable afternoon in Aue

The away side came out the half-time break with confidence and conviction, creating three chances within the first five minutes after the restart, with Bakery Jatta coming closest with a left-footed effort from Aaron Hunt's tempting cross. Yet the momentum slowly evaporated and the Rothosen's task became all the more difficult a minute before the hour mark, as Gideon Jung was adjudged to have dived in the box, picking up his second yellow card for simulation in the process and meaning Hamburg had to make a comeback with one man fewer than their hosts.

With Timo Letschert having to be replaced due to a clash of heads with van Drongelen, Dieter Hecking rolled the dice and brought Joel Pohjanpalo on for the centre-back with twenty minutes to play. The gamble backfired only two minutes later, as Lukas Hinterseeer misplaced his pass in midfield, and Pascal Testroet fed the ball through to Jan Hochscheidt, who calmly slammed past Daniel Heuer Fernandes into the far corner to double the Violets' lead. Dieter Hecking's men had little idea how to get back into the game, hitting long balls hopefully up towards Hinterseer and Pohjanpalo, who had little success against an organised and powerful Aue defence. An afternoon to forget was completed two minutes from time, as the Rothosen had pushed too far forward in attack and Jan Hochscheidt had all the time in the world to line up his left-footed shot from the edge of the box and fire past Heuer Fernandes to double his personal tally for the afternoon. Dieter Hecking shall have to pick his side up for the visit of SSV Regensburg to the Volksparkstadion next Saturday.

Game overview

FC Erzgebirge Aue: Männel - Mihojevic, Gonther, Rasmussen - Baumgart (46' Strauß), Riese, Fandrich, Rizzuto - Nazarov (76' Krüger) - Testroet (84' Daferner), Hochscheidt
Hamburger SV: Heuer Fernandes - Beyer, Letschert (73' Pohjanpalo), Ewerton (23' van Drongelen), Leibold - Jung - Schaub (64' Fein), Hunt - Narey, Hinterseer, Jatta
Goals: 1-0 Testroet (40'), 2-0 Hochscheidt (74'), 3-0 Hochscheidt (88')
Attendance: 14.500
Referee: Nicolas Winter (Düsseldorf)
Yellow cards: Baumgart (16'), Männel (59') / Hunt (38'), Jung (45'), Beyer (56'), van Drongelen (77')
Red cards: Jung (59')