Match Report


Föhrenbach ends Hamburg home unbeaten run

Jonas Föhrenbach's 82nd minute goal was enough for Heidenheim to seal all three points at the Volksparkstadion on Friday evening. 

Hamburger SV's unbeaten run at home came to an end on Friday night (6th December) at the hands of 1. FC Heidenheim. Hamburg found it difficult to break down a hard-working and clever Heidenheim defence, who in fact made the most of their single chance of the first half, with Tim Kleindienst striking the base of the post in the 16th minute. Despite the lion's share of possession, a lack of urgency and precision with the ball meant that Heidenheim's deep-lying defence was never truly tested in the first or second half. With the clock winding down, the guests made the most of their only foray forward as Föhrenbach placed into the empty net after Konstantin Kerschbaumer's shot had rattled off the bar. 

Rothosen struggle to break down organised Heidenheim

Hamburg looked to improve on the loss to Osnabrück a week previously by making three changes, with Timo Letschert, Bakery Jatta and Aaron Hunt replacing Gideon Jung, Bobby Wood and Christoph Moritz. The tone of the game was set from the outset, with Heidenheim's backline sitting deep but allowing large gaps between the first line of pressing and the deep-lying defence, meaning Hamburg had to work hard in midfield to free themselves. The away side were looking to feed off any scraps they could work on, and almost took a surprising lead with their first foray into the Hamburg half. Tim Leibold's header inadvertedly fell into the path of Tim Kleindienst, who struck the ball beautifully on the half-volley from the edge of the area to strike the base of Daniel Heuer Fernandes' post. The Rothosen looked most threatening when Heidenheim pressed too high up the pitch, exposing the space in behind. Bakery Jatta did well to get past his man and to the byline, but Martin Harnik's shot from the edge of the area struck his standing leg and dribbled harmlessly wide of Kevin Müller's goal. As the half wore on, the home side became increasingly more efficient in breaking the first line of the press from the guests, with notable chances for Jatta, Dudziak and Hunt, yet all three failed to really sting the palms of Heidenheim 'keeper Müller. As such the teams entered the interval unable to be separated, despite 70% possession for the hosts.

Föhrenbach steals it at the death

The pattern of the first half unsurprisingly continued after the restart, with Heidenheim if anything slipping deeper and deeper as their exhaustion from playing without the ball started to show. There was lots of possession between the two Hamburg centre-halves but a lack of movement, tight marking from the guests and a lack of urgency led to a real dearth of chances. The closest Hamburg came to an opener was Martin Harnik's shot in the 79th minute, before Marnon Busch threw himself in front of Bakery Jatta's follow-up effort to retain his side's clean sheet. 
And, as is always the case, Heidenheim were able to use their only chance of the half to take the lead. Konstantin Kerschbaumer was given too much time to get an effort on goal, which crashed against the bar. Whilst the Hamburg defence were sleeping, Tim Kleindienst latched onto the rebound, heading back into the middle for Föhrenbach who was left to tap into an empty net. Despite a final double change, Bakery Jatta's attempt which was straight at Kevin Müller was the best that Hamburg could muster in the dying minutes. All in all, a game of very few chances, with Dieter Hecking's side finding it difficult to move the ball quickly and free themselves from their opposite numbers. Truth be told Heidenheim had the two best chances of the game, and were rewarded for a clever game plan which Hamburg failed to deal with. The Rothosen will have to do better next time out in Sandhausen.

Game overview

Hamburger SV: Heuer Fernandes - Narey (86' Samperio), van Drongelen, Letschert, Leibold - Fein (86' Kinsombi), Dudziak, Hunt (73' Hinterseer) - Jatta, Harnik, Kittel
1. FC Heidenheim: Müller - Theuerkauf, Hüsing, Mainka, Busch - Dorsch - Kerschbaumer, Griesbeck (34' Föhrenbach), Schnatterer (68' Otto) - Kleindienst, Leipertz (90' Beermann)
Goals: 0-1 Föhrenbach (83')
Attendance: 42.190
Referee: Dr. Felix Brych (München)
Yellow cards: - / -
Red cards: - / -