Match Report


Pauli deservedly take 103rd Hamburg derby

Goals from Henk Veerman and Matthew Penney were enough for St. Pauli to snap the Rothosen's winning run and claim their second derby win of the season.

St. Pauli emerged victorious from the 103rd Hamburg derby on Saturday (22nd February) after a ruthless and fighting performance that couldn't be matched by the home side. After a flurry of chances in the opening minutes, after which HSV should have led, Pauli used two of their few forays into the HSV half to good effect to lead by two goals to nil at the interval. If the Hamburg fans were expecting a second-half fightback, it didn't come and if anything the guests were closest to extending their advantage, as the Rothosen had to accept a painful second derby loss of the season.

Ruthless Pauli lead at the break

Joel Pohjanpalo's dramatic 96th-minute equaliser earned the Finn a starting berth for the first time in HSV colours, replacing Lukas Hinterseer, whilst captain Aaron Hunt returned to the starting XI for the injured Jeremy Dudziak. The game started at a furious tempo as the Rothosen hit the woodwork twice inside the opening 10 minutes with both chances coming after good work down the right-hand side. Firstly Jordan Beyer drove into the space and pulled it back cleverly to Sonny Kittel on the edge, who let the ball roll onto his unfavoured left foot and let fly, only to see his effort smack against the crossbar. Just three minutes later it should have been two, as Bakery Jatta did excellently to win a ball that looked like it was going out for a goal kick, driving along the right-hand baseline and squaring to Joel Pohjanpalo, but the ball was just an inch too far in front of the Finn, whose effort squirmed against the base of the post. The hosts' profilgacy in front of goal was punished in the 20th minute as St. Pauli went in front with their first meaningful attack of the game. Miyaichi won a wayward pass in the middle of the park and van Drongelen and Letschert were left 2-on-2 against Veerman and Diamantakos. Veerman took on van Drongelen on the outside and outpaced his fellow Dutchman before coolly slotting past the helpless Heuer Fernandes to give the away side their first scalp of the contest. 

It got worse just before the half-hour mark as the guests doubled their lead. A St. Pauli attack could only be cleared as far as Matthew Penney, who sweetly struck a left-footed effort from all of 25 yards, the ball nestling in the bottom-left hand corner beyond the despairing dive of Daniel Heuer Fernandes. After a furious start, the Rothosen had suffered two sucker punches from the two meaningful attacks the guests had had in the first period and needed time to register what had happened. As the half came to a close, the Rothosen started to come into the game again, with a cross from Tim Leibold just a few inches too high for Louis Schaub's head and a cross-cum-shot from Bakery Jatta whistling just past Robin Himmelmann's left-hand upright. Hamburg should have led inside after the opening exchanges, and were punished for their wastefulness by two deadly efforts from the visitors.

Two goals ruled out in turgid second period

Despite seeing more of the ball, the Rothosen were unable to find that cutting edge that had been so penetrative in the opening period of the game and it was the guests who came closest to extending their lead, with Marvin Knoll's header from Penney's cross expertly saved by the feet of Heuer Fernandes six minutes after the restart. The guests had the ball in the net in the 67th minute after Benatelli headed in after a corner wasn't cleared properly, but the goal was disallowed via VAR as a Pauli attacker was in an offside position in the build-up. Despite three changes from Dieter Hecking, the flow of the game changed little, with St. Pauli content to sit back and far too many mistakes in the Rothosen's build-up play.

Hamburg had a goal of their own ruled out by VAR in the 83rd minute, as Joel Pohjanpalo was adjudged to have used his arm before Lukas Hinterseer headed in from a yard out. Much to Dieter Hecking's dismay, that was the only chance of note in the second half for the Rothosen. If the HSV fans were expecting a late charge they would be disappointed again, as the game petered out towards a very disappointing conclusion. St. Pauli were hungrier, constantly harrying and harassing the Rothosen, who made far too many mistakes with the ball at their feet to get up a head of steam and create pressure on the guests' goal. The first ten minutes aside, it was a performance lacking in energy and fight from the Rothosen, who more than deserved to lose and will try and get back on track for the promotion push next Saturday in Aue.

Game overview

Hamburger SV: Heuer Fernandes - Beyer, Letschert, van Drongelen, Leibold - Jung - Schaub, Hunt (62' Kinsombi) - Jatta (71' Hinterseer), Pohjanpalo, Kittel (62' Harnik)
FC St. Pauli: Himmelmann - Penney, Östigard, Buballa, Ohlsson - Benatelli, Becker (35' Knoll) - Miyaichi, Sobota (90' Flum), Diamantakos (87' Tashchy) - Veerman
Goals: 0-1 Veerman (20'), 0-2 Penney (29')
Attendance: 57,000 (sold out)
Referee: Manuel Gräfe (Berlin)
Yellow cards: - / Diamantakos (12'), Ohlsson (62'), Veerman (64'), Buballa (82')
Red cards: - / -