Match Report


3:0 deserved home win against Rostock

Glatzel (8th) and Reis (18th) put HSV on the winning track early in the game, and Glatzel (80th) put the lid on it late in the second half.

Hamburger SV won their home match at the end of the first half of the season on Sunday (12 December) against F.C. Hansa Rostock with 3:0 (2:0). In front of 15,000 spectators in the sold-out Volksparkstadion, head coach Tim Walter's charges took an early 2-0 lead through Glatzel (8th) and Reis (18th) and maintained control of the game throughout the rest of the first half. With a strong performance, the Rothosen hardly allowed any opportunities for the visitors from Rostock and were themselves repeatedly dangerous in front of Hansa keeper Kolke's box. After the change of ends, the FCH pros got into the game better, but the HSV pros always kept the upper hand and made everything clear in the 80th minute with Glatzel's goal. Thanks to the unchallenged home treble, Hamburger SV jumped to third place in the table at the end of the first half of the 2021/22 season.

A strong start to the game...

Despite the 0:1 away defeat in Hannover last Sunday (5 December), HSV head coach Tim Walter made no changes to the starting eleven - and that was to pay off. The well-rehearsed eleven survived a somewhat wild opening phase without any damage and took the lead in the 8th minute. Sonny Kittel accelerated a switch scene with a superb pass into the area, which Alidou played with the first contact to the five-metre area, setting up Robert Glatzel's goal. The first strike gave the Reds a noticeable boost and was the starting signal for a strong phase that culminated in 2-0 after 18 minutes. A fantastic combination ended with Ludovit Reis, who only had to push a Gyamerah cross over the line from close range. After the double strike, the Red Shorts managed the lead cleverly and with a lot of ball security, without pushing for the third goal with any final consistency. The 15,000 spectators saw more yellow cards than scoring chances until the half-time whistle and a stable performance by HSV.

... and a confident second half

After the change of ends, the Red Shorts worked hard for the decisive goal, but Kittel missed it shortly before the hour mark when he was unable to finish a Glatzel pass free in front of FCH keeper Markus Kolke. Five minutes later, the HSV attacker could have scored himself, but he failed to do so against the strong reacting Hansa goalkeeper. Due to the suboptimal use of chances and the fighting attitude of the Rostock team, the game remained open for a long time, although a goal was not really in the air. So it was up to Robert Glatzel to score the decisive 3:0 in the 80th minute. The centre forward converted an assist from substitute David Kinsombi to round off a convincing performance by the HSV, which could not be diminished by a Kaufmann goal chopped off by the VAR shortly before the end of the game.

Match Summary

Hamburger SV: Johansson - Heyer, Vuskovic, Schonlau, Gyamerah - Meffert - Reis (56. Kinsombi), Kittel (83. Meißner) - Alidou (74. Wintzheimer), Glatzel (83. Kaufmann), Jatta (83. Suhonen)

F.C. Hansa Rostock: Kolke - Riedel (80. Ingelsson), Malone, Meißner, Rizzuto - Fröde (80. Munsy), Rhein (70. Baxter Bahn) - Schumacher (46. Meier), Behrens (46. Mamba), Duljevic - Verhoek

Goals: 1:0 Glatzel (8.), 2:0 Reis (18.), 3:0 Glatzel (80.)

Attendance: 15.000

Referee: Michael Bacher (Amerang)

Yellow Cards: Jatta (28.), Reis (31.), Meffert (40.), Meißner (90.+2) / Verhoek (34.), Fröde (52.), Malone (68.), Baxter Bahn (80.)

Yellow - Red Cards: - / -

Red Cards - / -