Match Report


1:3 - HSV eliminated in DFB Pokal semi-final

Despite an even match, HSV lose the DFB Pokal semi-final 1:3 against Bundesliga side SC Freiburg, who now head into the final.

Hamburger SV lost the semi-final of the DFB Pokal on Tuesday evening (19 April) with 1:3 (0:3) against SC Freiburg. In front of 57,000 spectators in the sold-out Volksparkstadion, the Bundesliga club demonstrated its great efficiency in the opening phase and took the lead with its first two goals through Petersen (11th) and Höfler (17th). For their part, HSV invested a lot and played a strong game, but were also unlucky with decisions by the VAR, which meant first the 0:3 by Grifo (35th) and then the disallowed 1:3 by Suhonen (38th). The final goal was scored shortly before the end by HSV goal scorer Glatzel (88th), who at least rewarded himself and his team for their tireless efforts over 90 cup minutes, even if the goal came too late to turn the game around.

Misfortune seldom comes alone...

Before the game, HSV coach Tim Walter had emphasised the enormous anticipation of his team for this special match - and his team started accordingly hot and committed. Driven on by the more than 50,000 frenetic HSV fans in the sold-out Volksparkstadion, the Reds demonstrated their broad chest right from the kick-off, immediately looking for the way forward and setting themselves up well twice via Jatta's right side in the first few minutes. But then the visitors, who were striving for possession and control of the game and had a good style of play, showed themselves to be ice-cold twice within seven minutes and, with their brace in the 11th and 17th minutes, gave the game a clear push in the direction in which it should not go from Hamburg's point of view. But HSV didn't let the goals by Petersen and Höfler take their edge off, on the contrary: The Rothosen pushed themselves, kept pushing and after just under half an hour created two great chances by Suhonen and Jatta, who would have deserved the equaliser. Instead, however, a VAR intervention during Hamburg's best phase suddenly made it 0:3, because Heyer and Schlotterbeck, who had slipped in the penalty area, got in each other's way. Grifo converted the subsequent penalty kick in the 35th minute, but the Walter men were still not broken by this. With the support of the fans, they simply marched on and through Suhonen they actually scored a well-deserved goal, which made the Volkspark tremble - but then the VAR called in again, and again to the disadvantage of HSV. Suhonen was just offside with one foot, so the score went into the break at 0:3. A result that this game, in which everything really went against the Rothosen, had not really produced.

... but applause as a deserved reward

After the change of ends, HSV was able to keep the game even. Against the visitors, who were now mainly concerned with defending and maintaining their three-goal lead, the Hamburg team had more chances to score and also had more chances to score, but the home team was still not lucky. Sometimes SC keeper Flekken got a foot on the ball, sometimes the last pass did not find its addressee and sometimes it was just bad luck that the ball in the penalty area fell at the feet of a black-clad Freiburg player instead of an attacker in a white HSV shirt. And so, although HSV tried hard and earned many points, they were not able to put the SC goal in danger often enough. Nevertheless, the way the HSV players fought against elimination and fought for every single ball and metre until the end was also recognised and honoured by the spectators. And so they cheered their team on until the end, celebrated the late but well-deserved goal by Glatzel and bid their team farewell with thunderous applause from this match and this year's DFB Pokal, in which HSV had given its fans many great moments.

Match Summary

Hamburger SV: Heuer Fernandes - Heyer, Vuskovic, Schonlau, Vagnoman (82. Muheim) - Reis (69. Kaufmann), Meffert, Suhonen (85. Chakvetadze) - Jatta (82. Alidou), Glatzel, Kittel

SC Freiburg: Flekken - Schmid (90.+2 Sildillia), Lienhart, Schlotterbeck, Günter - Eggestein, Höfler - Sallai (64. Höler), Jeong (79. Haberer), Grifo (79. Weißhaupt) - Petersen (64. Demirovic)

Goals: 0:1 Petersen (11.), 0:2 Höfler (17.), 0:3 Grifo (35.), 1:3 Glatzel (88.)

Attendance: 57.000

Referee: Deniz Aytekin (Oberasbach)

Yellow Cards: Meffert (37.), Reis (48.), Kaufmann (74.), Heyer (90.+1) / Günter (57.), Höfler (63.), Schlotterbeck (72.), Weißhaupt (90.+3)

Yellow-Red Cards: - / -

Red Cards: - / -