Match Report


HSV wins cup thriller against FCN

HSV won against 1. FC Nürnberg in a penalty shoot-out on Tuesday evening after a gripping cup match and we are in the hat for the last 16 of the DFB Pokal.

Hamburger SV and 1. FC Nürnberg played a cup match with all you expect from the cup on Tuesday evening (26 October). In the end, HSV had the happier ending for itself and deserved to win 5:3 after a penalty shootout due to the greater share of the game and chances. After normal time, the score was 1-1 in a match that was not only a real cup thriller, but was also overshadowed by two serious injuries: HSV's Tim Leibold and Nuremberg's Tom Krauß had to be treated for a long time and substituted with injuries, which caused long delays in the game. Nevertheless, the fans were treated to a strong game in which the Reds had more of the play for most of the time, although the club also had its opportunities - but in the end the Red Shorts deserved to win and are through to the last 16 of the DFB Pokal.

Bad injuries...

Tim Walter changed his line-up in two positions in the cup compared to the 2:1 win at SC Paderborn. Doyle, who scored the winning goal, replaced Jatta in the starting eleven, as did Kaufmann for Alidou. But all these personnel changes took a back seat when, after an overall even opening phase with slight advantages for HSV, a very bad scene occurred: In the 18th minute, left-back Leibold injured his knee in a duel with Krauß, probably very seriously, lay screaming on the ground and had to be taken off the pitch on a stretcher after long initial treatment by the doctors. This moment shocked players, officials and fans alike, but the game continued afterwards and developed more and more in the direction of the Reds. In spite of everything, they presented themselves with a strong game and were rewarded shortly before the half-time whistle with the 1:0, which David scored following a Kittel corner and thus created the deserved break result.

... on both sides ...

The second half also began with a shock moment. Nürnberg's Krauß was again in the thick of it, but this time as the victim when he was hit hard in a header duel with Muheim. The doctors, who were hastily summoned, had to administer first aid and the game could only be resumed after a six-minute break, after Krauß had also been stretchered off the field. This game was anything but unfair, it was simply two very unfortunate scenes that overshadowed an otherwise very good cup game. HSV remained the dominant team, but still had to accept the equaliser through Duman after about an hour. This goal set the stage for an exciting final phase in which the Walter men pressed for the winning goal but lacked the necessary luck. The home side also had their chances and Heuer Fernandes had to save the extra time with a great reflex in the final minute.

... and HSV victory in the penalty shoot-out

For a long time nothing much happened in extra time, with FCN now having more of the game, but then there was great excitement once again: One minute before the end of extra time, substitute Alidou was denied a possible penalty kick, which once again heated up the Hamburg tempers. But the Reds remained cool as ice in the penalty shootout that followed and prevailed with ease because Kinsombi, Kittel, Schonlau and the 1:0 scorer David scored the decisive penalty, while on the other side Heuer Fernandes saved one penalty and overlooked another. HSV are now through to the last 16 of the DFB Cup after a truly gritty cup thriller and celebrated this success exuberantly with the more than 1,000 fans who had travelled with them after the final whistle - even if their thoughts were with Tim Leibold in the dressing room, who will be examined in detail in Hamburg on Wednesday.

Match Summary

1. FC Nürnberg: Klaus - Valentini, Schindler, Sørensen, Handwerker - Krauß (51. Duman), Geis, Tempelmann - Shuranov (86. Schäffler), Møller-Dæhli (116. Nürnberger), Dovedan (86. Schleimer)

Hamburger SV: Heuer Fernandes - Heyer, David, Schonlau, Leibold (22. Muheim) - Kittel, Meffert, Reis (101. Kinsombi) - Doyle (79. Alidou), Glatzel (79. Jatta), Kaufmann (60. Wintzheimer)

Goals: 0:1 David (45.), 1:1 Duman (59.)

Penalties: 2:1 Geis, 2:2 Kinsombi, 3:2 Duman, 3:3 Kittel, 3:3 Tempelmann verschießt, 3:4 Schonlau, 3:4 Heuer Fernandes hält Sørensens Versuch, 3:5 David  

Referee: Bastian Dankert (Rostock)

Yellow Card: Dovedan (14.) / Glatzel (39.), Muheim (51.), Schonlau (77.), Alidou (119.)

Yellow-Red Cards: - / -

Red Cards: - / -